Individuals impacted by experiences: Join the discussion

Update FEB. 5

Kevin Thao ’13: Last year was a good year because it was great to hang out with the older kids and we got to hang out as a class together. The friendships I made last year had the biggest impact on me because I got to bond with people I never usually talked to. Im starting 2013 by going off campus and maintaining my high school relationships. I think applications and college stuff is going to have the biggest impact on me this year.

Jenna Weimer ’14: There was a lot of change last year and some of them were good, some of them were hard. My church started a worship team rotation, and I am leading one of them and that had had a huge impact on me. This year my goal is to reach out as much as I can and stop being so focused on me and my problems. I’ve discovered that as I try to help people feel better, I find it so gratifying. I think the seniors leaving is going to have the biggest impact on me this year because I’ve grown with so many of them.

Matthew Ely ’15: Last year was a glad year and I’m glad it came. My knee surgery had the biggest impact on me last year because it limited me physically. Im starting off 2013 by working out a lot.

UPDATE FEB. 6

Ashlyn Key ’13: LAst year was a pretty good year. Getting a car had the biggest impact on me last year. Im starting off 2013 by going strong to the end of the school year, and I think graduating id going to be the biggest thing that is going to happen to me this year.

Johnathan Brushwood ’15: Last year was a good year for me but there were alot of horrible things that happened, like the Sandy Hook shootings. I think Obama’s re election had the biggest impact on me last year because I don’t exactly see eye to eye with him. Im starting off 2013 by making new resolutions and becoming a better person. I think the new laws are going to have the biggest impact on me this year.

Update

Mikayla Messer ’14: “Last year there were defintely some low times, but ulimately I think they brought me closer to Christ, so my relationship with him has definately gotten stronger. I can’t really complain because it was a pretty good year. I think the hardships I went through had the biggest impact on me because they taught me how to be mature and learn how to handle certain situations. Im starting off this year by challenging myself to read the whole bible this year and I think taking my SATs nd figuring out what I want to do with my life is going to have the biggest impact on me this year.”

Tyler Breedlove ’16:” I thought last year was fun, starting off Freshmen year was amazing because Stobbe is an awesome teacher. Joining the basketball team had a big impact on me last year, and this year too. Im starting off this new year by getting good grades and keeping them good thoughout the year.

Ashley Garcia’15: “Last year was a rollercoaster for me because I started out at Clovis North and I was’nt doing too good there, and then came here and I love it and met all my new friends. It started off okay then turned out being really good. Coming to Fresno Christian was the biggest thing that happened to me last year and it really changed my life. Im starting off this year by playing softball and enjoying the company of my friends ands family. This year my grades are going to have the biggest impact on me, because they determine if I have a social life or not.”

Elora Hargis ’14:” I thought 2012 was a big learning experience, I went through a lot of relationships, I grew with some and cut some off. What impacted me most was probably getting out of my comfort zone and meeting new people, and by meeting new people it showed me more about myself and different things I could do in life. Im starting off the new year by trying to keep my priorities straight with God as my center and revolving my life around him. I think my relationships will have the biggest impact on me this year , as a junior going into senior year building all the relationships you have in high school and have better realatiponships with all my teachers.”

Morgan Koop ’16:”2012 was a pretty good year, soccer was great because Im in club and school so I got to play double, I think being able to play on a Division 1 team had the biggest impact on me last year. Im starting off 2013 with more soccer becasue club is going to start up soon and Im just really trying to get through my freshmen year.

Nick Fontes ’15: “Last year was a good year, we did’nt all die. Going to summer camp at Hume had the biggest impact on me last year, Im starting 2013 by trying to finish soccer and try not o fall too behind. This year I have the oppertunity to go to Kenya to my church, so that is going to have a huge impact on me.

Looking back on previous years, people remember the things that impacted them the most, and how their experiences personally changed them. Different things impact a variety of people in more than one way, and people gradually realize the many things that contribute to who they are today.

In order to get an inside look into how the FC community was impacted by last year, The Feather staff encourages its readers to submit what affected them in 2012 and what they hope to accomplish in the new year.

Bible and friends
Chris Collinclark, ’16
January 31, 2013

“I though last year was pretty good because it was easy and fun. I think what impacted me the most last year was the Bible. I’m starting off 2013 by going to school and looking forward to what this year has to offer. I think my new friends and classmates are going to have the biggest impact on me this year.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes, youth group
Maddie Luginbill, ’16
January 31, 2013

I thought I had a first good semester in 2012. I got to see all my friends that I’ve known since kindergarten and met some new people too. I think what impacted me most was Fellowship for Christian Athletes (FCA) this summer. I’m starting 2013 with good grades and trying to stay in shape. I think youth group is going to have a big impact on me by strengthening my faith in Christ.

Change of scenery
Natalie Griffin, ’15
January 31, 2013

Looking back on 2012, I really did not like it at all and I’m really glad it’s over. It was probably the worst year of my life and I hated it so much. I think what impacted me the most were some of my personal changes. I made some changes in scenery, made different friends, got closer to different people, and changed who I was. It was a really good change and I don’t regret it.

I’m starting 2013 by taking it day by day and not knowing what is going to happen. I don’t really know what to expect this year so I don’t know what is going to impact me this year and I don’t really foresee anything impacting me this year, I think it’ll just be another year.

Football camaraderie, good grades
Jason Swain, ’15
January 31, 2013

Looking back on 2012, there are some good memories and bad ones. What impacted me the most was playing football. Just the brotherhood and camaraderie of it. I’m starting 2013 with getting good grades and pleasing my parents because my grades are what is going to impact me most this year.

Bittersweet memories
Sarah Lim, ’14
January 31, 2013

I though 2012 was full of bittersweet memories because there have been a lot of good memories and a lot of misktakes that I’ve learned from, but altogether it was a very bittersweet year. My friends and family impacted me most by maturing me and all of the blessings the Lord gave me.

Reinventing self, sights on Jesus
Grant Flamming, ’14
January 31, 2013

I felt like last year was a pretty good year filled with good memories. I think making new friends and reinventing myself last year really impacted me the most, and I’m starting 2013 by keeping my sights on Jesus and making new friends wherever I go. I think my faith in god is going to have the biggest impact on me in this new year.”

College application stress, encouragement from friends
Stefani Peck, ’13
January 31, 2013

I thought last year was a lot of fun, but there was a lot of stress because of collage applications though. My friends had a big impact on me this year helping me out. I’m starting this year by trying to be a little more organized this year and not procrastinate so much. I think college is going to have the biggest impact on me this year, but I’m looking forward to what’s next.”

Big decisions, prayer
Brandon Porter, ’13
January 31, 2013

Looking back on 2012, I thought it was a good year. I had to make a lot of big decisions about my future so it was a pretty big year for me in that regard. But all in all it was a pretty decent year.

What impacted me the most was probably having all the pressure on me to to make such big decisions. They’ve always been there , but last year was a reality shock to actually be in the situation of making the decisions that you’ve been thinking about your whole life. I’m starting 2013 like any other year, by praying about it, praying that God will give me guidance in the decisions I face this year, and just that everything goes smoothly this year.

Engagement, new life
Jordan Siebert, Social Science teacher
January 31, 2013

Last year was full of great memories and surprises that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Getting engaged to Jared [Kaiser] had the biggest impact on me because it is going to open up a whole new life for me next year.

I’m starting off 2013 by planning my wedding and making sure that everything goes great. Getting married is going to have the biggest impact on me because of the new way Jared and I are going to have to learn how to live our lives together.”

New job, new challenges
Eric Witters, Jr. High English and history teacher
January 31, 2013

I had a great year of personal growth. I started a new job here at FC and that has been both a great challenge and a great reward. I plan on accomplishing several things in 2013. First, to grow mentally as a teacher and prepare myself for the upcoming school year, and to create a stronger bond between myself and my students.

For more features, read the Jan. 29 article, Student anticipate NOTS, movies create good times.