EDITORIAL: Transforming the heart, individual objectives

As the new year commences, people all around the world form New Year’s resolutions. Whether it be a new exercise routine, improving grades in school or saving money, a majority of people take this opportunity to either break old habits or establish healthier ones.

Though the new year is a great time to set new goals in your life, The Feather staff wants to encourage its readers to not just make lists of resolutions, but to allow God to spiritually transform the heart in a relationship with him during this new year.

According to Romans 12:1-2, it says, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God?s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God?this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God?s will is?His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

The Feather staff also wants to challenge its readers to start with the heart transformation first. When you allow God to work through you, he will be the one who helps you develop stronger convictions and gives you the ability to act on them.

While setting new goals can be very significant in an individual’s life, one point to remember is to not set your goals too high. Start with something small and slowly work your way towards higher goals. If you can handle one small objective, then you can move on to bigger and more difficult ambitions.

Most of the time, a person learns most through the process of trying to accomplish their goal than when they actually do achieve it. It’s everything that goes into a goal: the thought process, actions, challenges, lessons, and then the result. Often times, repetition is part of the practice to succeed in reaching a personal goal.

Once you establish goals for yourself, seek to find an accountability partner or a group of friends who can help you keep the right focus. Express to them what your objective is, how you want to achieve it, and how they can keep you on the right track.

Along with having a support network, it is also important to remember that it all starts with the individual initiative. The whole reason to setting goals is to grow as a person. This takes time, and though it can be challenging in the beginning, don’t forget to remember of the purpose behind the goal.

You cannot just say you are going to do something and sit back to wait for it to happen. Therefore, the desire must be followed by action. According to Christian writer Vance Havner, “The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps– we must step up the stairs.”

Somewhere along the way, you may run into obstacles that seem too hard to overcome. When this happens, don’t lose heart. Go back to the goal and break down the steps of how you are aiming to achieve it. Though friends are available for support, but The Feather staff want to remind students to take the first steps by themselves.

For more editorials, read the Dec. 14 article, EDITORIAL: Finding rest during Christmas vacation.