Girls' soccer sport shorts: Fowler

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 2-0 in the West Sequoia League and 7-5-1 overall as of Jan. 11. The Eagles will next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan. 15.

EAGLES TOP REDCATS, REMAIN UNDEFEATED
After coming off their victory against the Parlier Panthers, the FC Eagles came out ready to defeat the Fowler Redcats for their second league game, Jan. 11. Though it was a tough battle between the teams, the Eagles were able to secure two goals, which resulted in their 2-1 victory.

During the first half, senior Maddie Yee dribbled the ball up the opposing side on a breakaway and scored on the right corner of the goal, giving FC a 1-0 lead over Fowler. The Eagles were able to maintain the lead for the remainder of the first half.

According to coach Tony Martinez, he believes the team had a slow start but soon picked up the pace after kicking into game mode.

“The first half started out slow and a little sloppy,” Martinez said. “As the game progressed the team started to play. By the second half the girls were on their game.”

In the second, the Eagles ran into a foul in the box against the Redcats, which resulted in Fowler taking a penalty kick, putting the game at 1-1. Despite the close match, sophomore Gaby Siqueiros was able to score another goal, which secured FC’s win against Fowler.

While both teams put forth much effort, Martinez acknowledges FC’s level of play over Fowler, which was reflected in the final score.

“They out played Fowler and it showed in the end with us in the winner’s circle,” Martinez said. “I’m proud of the success of the team so far, their hard work is paying off and the result is 2-0 in league play.”

Sophomore sweeper Ivette Ibarra agrees with Martinez in that the girls had a rough start to the game, unable to play as a whole team. Despite the first part of the game, Ibarra was pleased with the improvement during the second half.

“I would say that a down side of our game was that our nerves got the best of us in the first half, and we played as individuals instead of as a team,” Ibarra said. “An upside to our game was that we picked it up in the second half and we all communicated better and listened to what our teammates were saying.

With two wins under their belt, Ibarra looks forward to facing the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan. 15, and hopes for the team to focus its efforts on working as a team to keep the winning streak alive.

“I’m hoping on Tuesday that we just all try our hardest and play as a team because that’s what it’s going to take if we want to beat Caruthers,” Ibarra said.

The Eagles will next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan. 15.

For more sport shorts, read the Jan. 14 article, Girls’ soccer sport shorts: Parlier.