Boys basketball sport shorts: Caruthers

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13
For a preview to the Eagles basketball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Winter Sports Box Scores, 2012-2013, for dates, times, and all winter sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 6-10 overall and 3-2 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 10. The Eagle’s next game will be Jan. 15, as they travel to Caruthers to take on the Caruthers Blue Raiders.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2012-13
Eagles’ lose first league game against Caruthers–62-58, Jan. 15

The Eagles traveled to face the Caruthers Blue Raiders to play in their first West Sequoia League game, Jan. 15. FC entered the game with a 3-1 record in the 2013 new year and looked to improve upon that record and jump to the top of the West Sequoia League standings.

The game was competitive throughout entire game. Both teams played hard and kept the game close. At the end of the first quarter FC lead 10-9. In the second, FC slowly extended their lead to four, but Caruthers came roaring back and finished the half on a 7-15 surge to lead going into the half 31-26.

Coming out of the break, Caruthers came out strong and arrayed over their momentum and continued on a 2-10 in the first four minutes of the third. The Blue Raiders lead got as high as 12 points at one point, and FC found themselves trailing at the end of the third 42-52.

In the fourth, the Eagles found themselves with a tall hill to climb. To come from behind down 10 on the road is tough for any team, but FC never gave in. They consistently chipped away at the deficit and with less than a minute to go they were only down by four. With 20 seconds remaining they had pulled within two, but with time running down, they were forced to foul and the Blue Raiders sealed it with some clutch free-throws. Caruthers pulled out the victory 62-58.

With the loss, FC falls to 6-10 overall with a 0-1 record in West Sequoia League play.

Caruthers leading scorers were Junior Kushbir Thind (21), Senior Gursavak Gill (15), and sophomore Elijah Clark (11). FC was lead by senior Matt Howard (27) and sophomore Trevor Beal (15).

Senior Matt Howard, the games leading scorer, said it was a disappointing loss, but overall they played hard and showed lots of posstive traits

“It’s disappointing not to come out with a win,” Howard said. “We could’ve played a little better by cutting down turnovers, but we put up a fight. We showed a lot of heart not to give up and come back from a ten point deficit to almost win on the road. We’ll be fine for the rest of league, and when we play them again at home, we’ll beat them.”

The Eagles next game will be on Friday, Jan. 18 as the boys travel to Minarets High School to take on the Mustangs.

For more sports, check out the Jan. 10 article Boys basketball sport shorts: Sierra.