BRIEF: The Feather adds Instagram to multi-media coverage

The Feather Online is active in many different social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, and now trying to expand their horizons, Instagram. With it’s growing popularity and addictive simplicity, Instagram continues to attract more and more followers. Around 100 million people are registered Instagram users, according to How Many People Use The Top Social Media’s results. The Feather’s username on Instagram is @thefeatheronline.

Sophomore Mackenzie Devereaux is an avid instagram user and admits to checking instagram countless times a day.

“I like instagram because I like seeing what everyone is up to and I like to take pictures,” Devereaux said. “I am currently following The Feather on Instagram and I think it’s a great way to be updated on what is going on at school.”

The Feather hopes that in starting their new Instagram page, more people will be exposed and interested in the newspaper and upcoming events. With the newspaper active on the most popular media sites, students and friends are able to receive information while browsing through their newsfeed.

The Feather’s own Ryan King, Photo Editor, and Tynin Fries , Editor-in-Chief, are in charge of the new Instagram page and plan to update the page three to four times a day during lunch, after school and evenings. The photos posted on Instagram can also be viewed on Facebook and Twitter.

King explains why The Feather thinks it is so important to facilitate social media sites for the newspaper and it’s readers.

“Istagram is a great tool to use especially for journalism and other publicational uses,” King said. “I’m interested in how the site will grow. Instagram really helps our multimedia aspect because you are able to post photos fast and get them out to the students in a more conventional way.”

Fries hopes to turn The Feather into a more media rounded newspaper by expanding their horizons.

“Instagram is a big hit on our campus and we have been trying to get better at using social media to our advantage this year,” Fries said. “We are trying to use as many photos as possible to give students a reason to go on our site. We are hoping to interest them online and then draw them to articles, videos and photos on The Feather.”

Journalism Adviser Greg Stobbe is appreciates the fact that the staff is able to use other multi-media for the site like Instagram even though he does not use the app often.

“While I haven’t yet utilized my own Instagram account more than three or four times, I love the kids’ effort to add varied multi-media portals,” Stobbe said. “The Instagram social media site is another way to reach students who might not visit The Feather Online. I hope the Instagram will draw them to our paper.”

For more news, read the Jan. 15 article, BRIEF: Aptitude test to be administered, Jan. 23.