Softball sport shorts: Orosi

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 1-2 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 5. The Eagles will next play against Fresno High Warriors, Mar. 11.

FC FALLS TO OROSI, 14-4
The Eagles hosted the Orosi Cardinals in their third non-league game of the season, Mar. 6. Although the two teams scored back and forth at the beginning of the game, the visiting team was able to pull ahead in the remainder of the game and FC answered with only one other run.

The Cardinals led off the first inning with one run, but the Eagles were able to put a run on the board right off the bat, tying the game. The second inning remained scoreless for Orosi, and the Eagles gained two runs, taking their only lead during the game. Throughout the game, both teams suffered shut-out innings, but, unlike the Cardinals, the Eagles did not ever bounce back from the scoreless at-bats.

Orosi managed to add twelve more runs in the following four innings, answered by only one Eagle run. The Eagles had a game total of six hits, and the team was unable to get back in the competition. They were defeated 14-4, making their overall record 1-2 in the West Sequoia League (WSL).

Assistant coach Audrey Tamondong believes that the Eagles’ game against the Cardinals was exactly what the team needs to grow and improve. Although she wishes the Eagles had emerged victorious, she knows that all FC lacks is experience and the ball smarts and skill that come through playing time.

“I think that it is very early in our season and facing a team like Orosi is a building block for our girls softball program,” Tamondong said. “Many of our girls are new and just the experience of playing in live games is rewarding in that each young lady is learning a new developmental softball skill. Returner or newbie, each player learns something new with each game whether it’s how to shake off a strikeout, how to control the adrenaline of getting a hit, achieving a first stolen base, diving for a grounder, or learning to communicate with one another to keep one another mentally strong…each player is growing.”

Tamondong says that the coaches are not solely focused on winning during pre-season, since the goal of non-league games is to prepare for league.

“At this point, wins are always nice, but winning isn’t out coaching staff’s focus,” Tamondong said. “It’s preparing our team for league so that each player has a better understanding of softball and so they are confident as a team and as individual players. When league springs up, that’s when the W’s are important.”

Throughout the game, the team made some minor mistakes that eventually added up to the loss. Tamondong knows that as the season progresses and the girls play more, skills like being able to field, knowing where to throw the ball, settling down in the box, hitting the ball hard and being smart and aggressive on the bases will come.

“Many good things happened in the Orosi game and some not so great,” Tamondong said. “But it is games such as these that the Fresno Christian softball team is going to improve. We as a coaching staff hope to see the girls become stronger and more consistent hitters and fielders, obtain less errors during games, and be able to back our pitcher up defensively.”

Although Wednesday’s game was a rough loss, Tamondong is hopeful that the Eagles will play hard against not only the Fresno High Warriors but also against all the other teams they will face in league.

“I feel we are blessed with young ladies who have the desire to learn and play softball, and with hard work and Jesus guiding our path, we will have a successful season,” Tamondong said. “Monday is our next home game when we face the Fresno High Warriors. I believe if we come out fierce and ready to play then we will be successful!”

Due to Friday’s game being postponed because of the rain, FC will play next at home against the Fresno High Warriors at 3:30 p.m., Mar. 11.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42.

For more information, see the Mar. 4 article, Softball sport shorts: Mendota.