Girls' soccer sport shorts: Minarets

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 2-2 in the West Sequoia League and 7-8-1 overall as of Jan. 9. The Eagles will next host the Riverdale Cowboys, Jan. 23.

EAGLES LOOSE TO MUSTANG, 1-0
To end the second week in league, the Eagles traveled to Minarets High School to play against the Mustangs, Jan. 18.

Soon after the first half begun, Minarets scored from outside the 18-yard line, shooting just high enough to go over the hands of goalie, sophomore Rhyann Crain. The rest of the game both teams played a lot of defense.

The Eagles held the Mustangs throughout the entire rest of the game, but failed to score themselves, which left the Eagles with a loss, 1-0. Though the Eagles had many shots on goal, few required the Mustang’s goalie to block the ball.

Head coach Tony Martinez saw that the team came out with less energy than previous games. The teams plans to practice harder in order to come back from their loss at their next game, he said.

“We came out flat and never got into the game and it showed by the loss,” Martinez said. “We will just go back to practice and work on a few things and we will be back.”

Most of the players came off the field frustrated at the lack of chemistry, including Mikayla Miller, ?15, who felt the game was a letdown for the team.

“It wasn?t a very good game for anybody,” Miller said. “We bunched together and we weren?t communicating well. We totally did not take that game seriously enough to be able to play well. Next game, we just need to have better focus.”