Boys' soccer sport shorts: Caruthers

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-3 in the West Sequoia League and 1-7-1 overall as of Jan. 15. The Eagles will next travel to play the Minarets Mustangs, Jan. 18.

EAGLES FALL TO BLUE RAIDERS–0-5
For the first time this season, the Eagles traveled to face off Caruthers, Jan. 15. After a tough battle, FC lost 5-0, improving from the 6-0 loss from the previous year’s game against the Blue Raiders.

The Eagles played hard throughout the game but due to a shortage of people, they soon became tired towards the end of each half.

Head coach Matt Markarian says that the Eagles played well but need to adjust to playing even when they are tired.

“We played one of our better games of the year,” Markarian said. “Caruthers is one of the best teams and we played toe to toe with them for almost the whole game. We need to improve upon our focus; we play really well for a period of time and then we become tired and start making mistakes.”

Due to the responsibility of covering the opposing team’s captain, sophomore Jordan Castro was pleased with how he played and how the rest of the team performed.

“I thought I played well,” Castro said. “I was covering their captain and he tripped over my leg and fell on the ground. I was pleased that I could cover one of their better players and even out play him at some points. Even though we lost 5-0, I think that was one of our better games where we worked with each other, there were just a few small mistakes with the ref and our team the lead to a victory for Caruthers.”

After coming off an eight day cruise, freshman goalkeeper Bailey Brogan returned to playing with his team and was reminded of why he enjoys playing the sport.

“I forgot how much I liked playing goalie,” Brogan said. “I saved a penalty kick and that reminded me why I became a goalie. I can’t wait for the rest of the season to improve my skills.”

The Eagles next travel to play the Minarets Mustangs at 6:30 p.m., Jan. 18.

For more sport shorts, read the Jan. 24 article, Girls’ soccer sport shorts: Minarets.