Journalism plans to attend local SJVSPA Muckracker competition

Feather staff will compete at Fresno State’s SJVSPA annual competition

Aspiring journalists will expand their media skills at the annual “Muckracker 2003” on March 8. Hosted by San Joaquin Valley Scholastic Press Association (SJVSPA) and sponsored by the Mass Communication and Journalism department of Fresno State, the conference welcomes over 100 schools throughout the Central Valley.

“Our conference gives students a chance to see how their work stacks up against others from their geographical area,” Greg Lewis, professor in the Mass Communications department, said. “Students can learn from the experience. We send the articles from the on-the-spot competition back to their teachers for future reference.”

The event takes place from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. at various places on the campus and competitors walk to their respective event buildings. Categories include yearbook, newspaper and advertising design, photography, news, feature, sports and editorial writing. Competing schools select two students to participate in each event and four awards are given in each category.

“I was delighted at receiving honorable mention last year,” Anne Hierholzer, 05, said. “I learned a lot from the competition last year and I hope to capitalize on the experience I gained.”

However, some students do not compete but they can attend workshops for instruction in specialized areas.

“Last year I did not compete and I was disturbed,” Randy Hill, ’04, said. “I had to attend a photography workshop but this year I will definitely compete and win the SJVSPA Muckracker competition.”

Fresno State has opened its doors to students for 23 years and this will be FC’s fifth year competing. Last year, FC took home the All-Valley newspaper award for small schools with under 1,600 students. The contests begin at 8:45 a.m. but registration for all participants opens at 8:15.

For additional information, contact SJVSPA director Becky Thornton at (559) 278-6266.