Boys' soccer sport shorts: Minarets

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-4 in the West Sequoia League and 1-8-1 overall as of Jan. 18. The Eagles will next travel to play the Fowler Redcats.

MINARETS TOPS FC
For the second time this year the Eagles played the Minarets Mustangs O’neals, Jan. 18. The Eagles came off to a slow start where the Mustangs took advantage and made three goals, in the second half the Eagles backfired by driving a ball into the back of the net by Josh Carter, ’16. The Eagles were defeated by the Mustangs, 3-1.

Assistant coach Bob Bender says that the Eagles played a bad game and that the boys need to keep paying attention to his and the other coaches advice.

“The Eagles did okay,” said Bender. “They just need to hustle a bit more and remember what was worked on in practice. Also, to keep listening to the coaches because we know what were talking about.”

Freshmen Andrew Moore was happy in the Mustangs game because with a different coach he was allowed to play different positions.

“It was pretty exciting,” said Moore. “I wasn?t used to the new position of center mid but I soon became comfortable with it and I improved further on into the game. I enjoyed having a different coach, he gave us different positions to try and I found out where I liked playing soccer the most.”

Junior David Taylor was excited that he got to play after coming off a fractured knee and also pleased with how the team played due to the change of positions.

?I?m glad that I got to play,? Taylor said. ?It?s tough sitting on the sidelines watching your teammates need an extra player but be unable to help. We just let down a couple of times in the first half where they took full advantage and scored.”

The Eagles will next play the Riverdale Cowboys at home on the North field, Jan. 21.