City college offers route to UCs

Fresno City College offers its Peters Honors Program for those students who excelled in high school but are choosing the community college to university path.

This program requires that a student maintain a grade point average of at least 3.25, and be continuously enrolled in at least 3 units of honors classes per semester.

The program facilitates transferring to a higher university.

Universities that accept the transfers allow students in the honors program to pass mostly with ease from the community college into the four-year university program.

Fresno Pacific University has students wishing to transfer meet with counselors to ensure the necessary classes and credits are fulfilled. Then the student may assimilate into their university program.

According to the program’s coordinator, the honors program is designed to get students into a one of California’s renowned state universities.

“There is preferential agreement with [several Universities of California?] Davis, Berkeley, Riverside, and Santa Cruz,” Dr. John Spolsdoff, director of the honors and student success, said.

Scholarships with these universities are leveraged with honors classes on their transcripts from community college.

Fresno State also offers an honors program called the Smittcamp Honors Program, although the deadline has already passed for the upcoming year. It is a prospective program transfer once the two years at Fresno City College have been completed.

More information may be attained by calling Dr. John Spolsdoff at 442-8207. The application deadline for the Peters Honors Program for the 2003-04 year is March 1.