Boys basketball sport shorts: Parlier (VIDEO)

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13
For a preview to the Eagles basketball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Winter Sports Box Scores, 2012-2013, for dates, times, and all winter sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 9-13 overall and 3-4 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 6. The Eagle’s next game will be Feb. 8, as they travel to Riverdale to take on the Riverdale Cowboys.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2012-13
Eagles defeat Panthers in close game–54-49, Feb. 4

The FC boys basketball team travelled to Parlier High School to play their rescheduled varsity game against the Panthers. The Eagles were coming off a big win at home over Caruthers, as they beat the undefeated WSL champs, and were looking to carry that momentum over into Parlier and win their third straight game.

The game started slower than usual. Both teams struggled to hit their shots. By the end of the quarter, however, the Eagles found their stroke and ended the first on a small run and led 13-6. In the second, the Eagles continued their excellent shooting performance and got ahead by as much as nine, but as the half drew to a close, the Panthers began to claw their way back and made it a two point game before freshman Tyler Breedlove hit a buzzer beater three to put the Eagles up by five at the break.

In the third, the Eagles continued their lights out shooting performance, and pulled out in front right away. They led by as much as twelve points, and held it their for most of the quarter. By the end of the third, FC stayed in control by nine, 38-29. In the fourth, Parlier slowly was chipping away. At one point, they narrowed it down to as little as three points, but was then forced to foul. FC made a few sets of clutch free-throws and sealed the game. FC won their third straight game as they defeated Parlier, 54-49.

The Eagles had three players in double-digits: senior Matt Howard (15), junior Caleb Nale (15) and Sophomore Trevor Beal (15). Parlier’s leading scorers were Jerry Arredondo (12), and John Guerrero, who lead all scores with 22.

Head Coach Robert Hubbard says that the team is playing really good basketball right now, and is excited to see how the team will do the rest of the season.

“I feel that we are playing really good basketball right now.” Hubbard said, “We beat a very good Caruthers team at home and won a hard fought game against Parlier on the road. The boys have done a great job of correcting the mistakes we were making earlier in the season. I have two goals for our remaining league games. The first is to send our seniors out on a good note. The second is to build some momentum for the off season. If we can end on a great note, we can use that as motivation in our off season program.”

The Eagles next game will be away as the boys play the Riverdale Cowboys, Feb. 8.

For more sports, read the Feb. 6 article, Boys’ basketball sport shorts: Minarets.