Girls' soccer sport shorts: Riverdale

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 5-5 in the West Sequoia League and 10-10-1 overall as of Feb. 8. The Eagles will next travel to Mendota to play in the first game of playoffs against the Mendota Aztecs.

EAGLES WIN LAST LEAGUE GAME, ADVANCE TO PLAYOFFS–Feb. 8
For the Lady Eagles’ final West Sequoia League (WSL) game, they traveled to Riverdale, where they took on the Riverdale Cowgirls for the second time this season, Feb. 8. After a tough battle between both teams, FC ended up on top, with a 2-0 victory.

The Eagle’s lost the coin flip and therefore Riverdale chose side, with the wind in their favor. Regardless of the wind factor, within the first half, both teams were unable to put a goal in the net. At the end of the first, the score remained 0-0.

During the second half, FC picked up their game, putting two goals in the net by sophomore Gabriela Siqueiros, which ultimately led to the Eagle’s victory over the Cowgirls.

According to junior Kaitlyn King, the first half of the game was challenging due to the wind and the team not being able to fully focus their minds on the game. Despite the hard start, King also says that her coach was able to motivate them to play harder in the second.

“The first half was difficult because we were going against the wind and every time defense would clear the ball, it would end up coming back at us,” King said. “We constantly struggled with keeping our heads in the game and focusing on our goal. At half time, coach really spiked up our energy and encouraged us to play harder. I was really happy that we were able to come back and score two goals in the second half.”

With FC’s win against Riverdale, the Eagles qualify for playoffs, and will travel to Mendota to face the Mendota Aztecs, Feb. 14. After playing with the team in last year’s playoff game against Firebaugh, King looks forward to this year’s competition and hopes to advance further than last year.

“I’m really looking forward to going to playoffs again,” King said. “Last year the team lost the first game against Firebaugh and I’m hoping that this year we are able to go further. I think now we are motivated and excited that we were able to come back from our losses and go to the playoffs.”

Despite not starting the game with a lot of energy, head coach Tony Martinez says he was satisfied with how the girls picked up their game in the second, and is proud of all their hard work.

“It was a great way to finish the season,” Martinez said. “The first half of the game was up for grabs for both teams. It went back and forth with no one scoring. The second half we came out fired up and played our best and came out with a win. I was proud of how the girls played.”

The Eagles will travel to play the Mendota Aztecs at 6:30 p.m., Feb. 14.

For more sport shorts, read the Feb. 7 article, Girls’ soccer sport shorts: Minarets.