Boys soccer sport shorts: Riverdale

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-9 in the West Sequoia League and 1-16-1 overall as of Feb. 9. The Eagles will next travel to play the Riverdale Cowboys.

EAGLES LOSE FINAL GAME OF SEASON TO LEAGUE RIVAL, 6-0

For the last game of the season the Eagles played the Riverdale Cowboys in Riverdale, Feb. 8.

Head coach Matt Markarian said that the Eagles came off to a rough start but improved in the second half.

“The second half we got it together and played real well,” Markarian said. “Riverdale is a really strong team and unfortunately we came off to a rough start and im real proud of how the boys played in the second half. We got a lot of strong young players, Josh Carter got second team all league and was the only Freshman to get that honor. Also Bailey Brogan and some of the Juniors and Senior will help to lead the team, im really looking forward to next year.”

Junior Daniel Moore says he looks forward to next year and also that the Eagles came off to a slow start.

“My goal for next year is to win a league game,” said Moore. “It had been a long time since we won a league game. We had a sloppy first half but afterwords we were able to lock down our defense. Even with almost all of our Seniors on the bench we persevered.”

Sophomore Nick Fontes believes that the Eagles played one of their worst games of the season but he believes that next years team will be a lot better.

“That was not our best game by far,” Fontes said. “In the first half our defense was really bad but by the second half we improved to only letting in one goal. Next year our whole team is going to play club in summer so we can compete against the rest of our division and put up a better team against teams like Riverdale.”

For more information, see the Feb. 7 article, Boys’ soccer sport shorts: Minarets.