Roadshow to feature various Christian artists

For the fifth year in a row, Celebration Concerts and Spirit West Coast will host the Rock and Worship Roadshow, an annual traveling concert featuring various Christian contemporary artists and bands. This year’s performance will start at 7 p.m., at the California State University, Fresno’s Save Mart Center, March 10.

The 2013 concert will present MercyMe, Jeremy Camp, Tedashii, Kutless, Luminate, Rhett Walker Band and Family Force 5, with a pre-show given by Adam Cappa and Tim Timmons.

FC secretary Brenda Warkentin has volunteered for Celebration Concerts for 14 years at a variety of events and concerts like the Roadshow. According to her, the event’s main goal is to provide a concert where believers can gather together with the same heart and where the audience can hear positive songs that give glory to God.

“In today’s world it is important for Christians of all ages to see God at work in His people,” Warkentin said. “For many, music is a way for them to express their worship to Him. By having concerts it allows teens to see there is a good choice of music besides what the ‘world’ gives them.”

According to Warkentin, the Roadshow is geared for all ages. Looking at the lineup of performers, there are many different styles of music such as rock, contemporary, hip-hop and alternative to appeal to the whole audience.

This year, senior Brandon Porter will have attended the concert for two years, but this time, he is going as a VIP. Last year, like many other audience members, Porter staked his place in line with friends to beat the crowds to good seats.

“Last year my friends and I got there super early,” Porter said. “I brought my guitar with me, and we jammed for a while, because we wanted to be let in early. This year, I have VIP tickets, so I get let in earlier than the rest of the crowd.”

Porter enjoyed the concert and is attending again because he liked not only the atmosphere created by hundreds of other believers gathered together, but also getting a taste of concerts from multiple Christian artists.

“I enjoy going to the event because it is an awesome time of worship,” Porter said. “Not only that, but it is a chance to witness come amazing bands and musicians in concert.”

Warkentin’s main task is to help recruit and organize volunteers, but she has also served at the merchandise booths, handed out flyers for those in line for concerts and worked in the box office. She enjoys volunteering and says that she has continued to help for all these years because she can put her abilities and talents to work in a way that will benefit people and give back to God.

“God has given me the gift of organization,” Warkentin said. “This gives me the opportunity to use my gift to serve Him. It’s also wonderful to meet other Christians with the same passion for the music.”

Each year, the Rock and Worship Roadshow chooses an organization to partner with, promote and support. This year they have chosen to contribute to Compassion International, a worldwide child sponsorship for kids in third-world countries. During the concert, there will be an opportunity for the audience to give to this organization or even choose a child to sponsor.

“Compassion International works in third-world countries, and there are churches and ‘program’ schools in many villages,” Warkentin said. “Concert goers are given the opportunity to help spread the gospel and care for the children by sponsoring a child.”

Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis, as audience members will pay $10 (cash or check only) at the door instead of purchasing tickets. It is suggested that audience members show up early to ensure good seats, and even admission as the concert often is packed out.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. Follow the Roadshow via Twitter: @theroadshow.

For more information on volunteering, contact Warkentin at 559.299.1695, ext. 128, or by e-mail. For updates on the Roadshow, visit their Twitter, Facebook or Instagram pages.

For more news, see March 6 article, Campus seniors attend Her World conference (VIDEO).