Boys baseball sport shorts: Roosevelt (VIDEO)

BOYS’ BASEBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013
For a preview to the Eagles baseball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Spring Sports Box Scores, 2013, for dates, times, and all spring sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 0-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 27. The Eagle’s next game will be Feb. 28, as they travel to play Tranquillity Tigers.

BOYS’ BASEBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2013
CARUTHERS PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENT
Eagles lose first game of the season –11-8, Feb. 26

The Fresno Christian boys baseball team played their first game of the season as the Eagles hosted Roosevelt High School, Feb. 26. It was the first game of the six game Caruthers Tournament that spans over the course of two weeks.

The team has only three returning players so many young athletes will be featured throughout the year. One of those young players was freshman Tyler Breedlove, who started on the mound in his first-ever varsity baseball game. However, he struggled early and gave up five runs in the first, leaving an early deficit for the Eagles to come out of.

Offensively, the Eagles came out strong. After a leadoff single by Lucas Lopez, senior JP Caprioglio drove him in after a double to left-center. The rally continued, and the Eagles tacked on three runs to narrow the deficit to two. After a shut-out top of the second, the Eagles came back again and took the lead after scoring three more runs, leaving FC ahead 6-5 at the end of the second inning.

However, in the third, the team struggled. FC’s pitchers had difficulty finding the zone and the defense had a few errors after making some defensive changes. Roosevelt came right back and scored six runs to re-take the lead 11-6. In the bottom half of the inning, FC continued their offensive efficiency and scored two more runs, making it 11-8. Yet the Eagles’ pitching difficulties continued as they gave up four more runs in the next inning, and due to the lack of lighting, the game was called early as FC was handed their first loss of the season 15-8.

Senior Captian JP Caprioglio says that Tuesday’s game was a tough loss, but that the team should be able to bounce back.

“We got our heads down too early.” Caprioglio said, “Once they started to score runs we gave up defensively. But we just need to get used to playing together. Only three of us have ever played with each other, so once we get some team chemistry, we should be able to win some games.”

The Eagles next game will be on Thursday, Feb. 28 as FC travels to Tranquility High School to take on the Tigers.

For more information, see the Feb. 27 article, Senior utilizes softball as ministry opportunity.