Junior athlete improves skills with work ethic

Although junior year may be difficult due to college preparation and difficult classes, third-year varsity player Lucas Lopez, No. 13, made time for baseball and has retured to the field this season. Besides baseball, Lopez also played on the varsity boys’ soccer team during the winter season. Lopez currently plays outfield and is a leadoff hitter for the Eagles.

According to Lopez, he was introduced to the sport at age of five by his mother, Laura. As years went by, his passion for baseball grew and it became more than a simple hobby.

“I was first introduced to baseabll as a child,” Lopez said. “My mom first put me into a little league team when I was five years old, and I have played ever since then. Now, after many years, I can definitely say that baseball is my favorite sport.”

Out of the many coaches Lopez has had, he looks up to his old city league coach due to his passion for the sport the most.

“I look up to my old city league coach when it comes to baseball,” Lopez said. “He actually used to play baseball in the big league, but after he retired he decided to coach other youth teams. He was my inspiration. He always sought to help improve my game and always encouraged me.”

Even though winning is important, it is not as important as representing the Lord, Lopez said. Lopez believes that it is crucial as a Christian athlete to remeber who he is playing for.

“If I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, then I know that the Lord will bless us on the field if we play for him and his ministry,” Lopez said. “But victory over the other team isn’t the important thing, it’s being humble in victory and also being graceful in defeat. That is truly showing God’s spirit in our game.”

According to Lopez, baseball requires planning and confidence. It is necessary to follow the plans and trust himself fully. He also finds it necessary to remain positive throughout the game.

“In baseball, you have to make the routine plays, passes, plans and everything,” Lopez said. “But to me, baseball is also a mind game, you can never doubt your own ability or second guess yourself. I feel that to be successful in baseball you need to have focus, and never harp on yourself for your mistakes.”

Lopez is satisfied with the coaching staff this year and appriciates the coaches’ abilities to lead the team. He also believes that the team will be successful, as long as they put hard work into it.

“I really like the coaches this year,” Lopez said. “I feel that Coach {Noah} Heinz and Coach {Nathan} Lee are very capable people to lead our team, and I am confident that we can do very well this year.”

Laura says that Lopez’s competitive personality has helped him both academically and on the baseball field. She is proud of Lopez for all of his accopmlishments over the years and his desire to work hard at all times.

“Lucas has always had a very competitive personality,” Laura said. “Whether it be sports or academics, He has been swinging a bat even before he could walk, so it became evident very early that he would enjoy playing baseball. Along with his competitive personality, he also exhibited a lot of energy. I could not ask for a more focused and driven son then Lucas. The Lord has definitely blessed me and my son. My heart overflows with pride.”

Varisty head coach Noah Heinz says that he is proud of Lopez for improving tremendously. Heinz believes that Lopez will be a key contributor this season due to his excellent work ethic.

“Lucas is one of the most improved players I have ever coached,” Heinz said. “He went from playing in a couple of games last year to a starting outfielder and lead-off hitter this year. His work ethic, on and off of the field, has help make this happen. He leads the team so far this year in runs and on-base percentage and will be a key contributer for the rest of the season. I look forward to seeing what else he can accomplish.”

Playing baseball has also taught Lopez valuable life lessons. He learned that even though obstacles may come, he must endure the hardships and learn from previous mistakes.

“One thing I’ve definitely learned in baseball is to not give up,” Lopez said. “You have to work past your mistakes and improve your game. When you lose yourself to your mistakes, it becomes impossible to succeed.”

Support from fans provides confidence for Lopez. It is also crucial to get along with teammates and trust them on the field, Lopez said.

“Knowing that your team supports you gives you confidence on the field,” Lopez said. “The same also goes when we have support in the bleachers. As a team, we love hearing any fans cheer us on, it really just motivates us as a whole.”

Fellow baseball player Jonathan Nyberg, ’14, praises Lopez for his natural athletic abilities.

“Lucas is a very skillful and naturally talented baseball player,” Nyberg said. “Being on the team with him is awesome, because you can always count on him to work hard for his team.”

Although Lopez mainly plays outfield, he also enjoys playing a number of various positions on the field.

“I play a bit of everything,” Lopez said. “This year I am starting outfield and possibly third and second base. I do enjoy outfield, surprisingly it’s quite peaceful but when the ball it hit, there isn’t a better feeling than catching that high-fly ball deep in the outfield.”

Since baseball requires fast speed and sliding, Lopez got injured several times over the course of his baseball career.

“I’ve been injured several times in baseball,” Lopez said. “One time a ball actually hit me square in the face while i was up to bat in a youth league. But in more recent times, I injured my ankle while up to bat against Roosevelt {High School}. Knee and elbow scrapes and bruises are souvenirs you get used to from sliding, I haven’t gone a single year without destroying a pair of baseball pants.”

According to Lopez, he is planning on playing baseball in college after he graduates next year. He is planning on taking the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in order to enter the medical field.

“I am definitely planning on playing baseball in college, mainly because I really want to continue my love of the sport,” Lopez said. “And get better at it at the college level. After high school, I plan on attending college where I can obtain the necessary majors to take the MCAT and pursue a medical career. Meanwhile, I hope to be able to play baseball at whatever college I plan to attend.”

For more sports, read the March 4 article, Softball sport shorts: Mendota.