Campus set to showcase fine arts

The opportunity to display talent is a highlight for many artists and musicians. The Fine Arts Concert on March 18 allows students in the art, music and drama programs to showcase their abilities in a combined concert and art show.

“This concert is a wonderful opportunity for the fine arts department,” Marc Ferguson, choir and ensemble director, said. “It combines the visual and performing arts. It allows the different groups to come together in order to present a polished performance.”

Last year marked the first combined concert including performances by the high school ensemble, concert choir, concert band, jazz band, and drama class. This year, exhibits from the art and woodshop classes will add a new dimension of art for the audience.

“We wanted to make the evening an entire art night,” Sharon Scharf, art teacher, said. “Different art pieces from several of my art classes will be on display for their parents and friends to see. This will allow more people to see the pieces that I am going to take to the art festival.”

This years’ concert will also feature a combined performance of the concert choir, ensemble and band.

“Having a combined song with the choirs and band adds variety to the concert,” Paul McEntee, band director, said. “The groups are performing ?Shenandoah’, which highlights the talents of each group. The combined piece is more interesting for the students to perform and the combined piece makes for a wonderful concert closer to the evening.”

Drama will also be showcasing their talent and will perform Act Five from their current project A Midsummer’s Night Dream.

“Performing in this concert is a wonderful opportunity for drama,” Jamie Meadows, ’03, said. “Since we performed in the concert last year, we were better able to prepare as a group for this year because we know what to expect in terms of projection and audience preference.”

The event will be held at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Fresno. The display of the art and woodwork projects begins at 7:00 p.m. and the performances will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5.00 and are available from participating students or are also available in the high school office.

For more ticket information, contact Yoko Kilbourne in the high school office at 299-1695 ext. 128.