American Press Institute encourages newspaper education

There are many different aspects to being a writer. Integrable journalists must always remain impartial to the stories they are writing, making sure to stick to the facts and information they obtain from credible sources. There are certain guidelines writers are encouraged to follow such as being fair to the subjects of their piece.

According to the American Press Institute (API) there is a specific formula to keep journalists on track and fair. There are five main components to an article that keep it honest and trustworthy: accuracy, balance, completeness, detachment and ethics.

Not only is being a journalist filled with many different aspects, but journalism itself creates a lot of different avenues to learn. Newspaper In Education Week, sponsored by API who is partnered with the Newseum, is an annually celebrated week, which occurs the first full school week in March, March 4-8. The goal of this week is to highlight the different ways the newspaper can be used as an educational tool.

API also encourages journalists to learn from their guidelines on how to write a well-balanced article. The newspaper can be an educational resource for people but only if the journalists report on accurate information.

For senior Meredith Monke, writer for The Feather, she makes sure to report the facts she has acquired without mixing in her personal opinion. By doing so, Monke believes her articles can be used as informational and educational for the public.

“As a journalist, I keep my articles fair and well-balanced by sticking with facts and not adding my own opinion about the topics being discussed. Articles shouldn’t be biased, because readers need to be able to form their own opinions based on the facts given. I think newspapers are a good educational resource, because they inform people about what’s going on in the world,” Monke said. “It’s important that people know what’s happening on a larger scale than just the events they encounter in their daily lives. ”

Caleb Nale, ’14, considers journalists to have a tough job due to their abstention of putting their opinions in their articles. Nale views newspapers as a learning tool but only when writers can refrain from putting themselves in their work.

“I’m not a journalist myself but from what I can tell it takes a lot of self-restraint,” Nale said. “Journalists have to make sure to keep their own opinions completely out of the article. By doing so, I think the public will actually take a vested interest in the article because they know it’s strictly facts. The newspaper is a great way to get the truth and really learn about what’s going on.”

Junior Tynin Fries, Editor-in-Chief, feels people can take a lot away from journalism itself. Fries finds the class to be very educational, especially in the work field. She has learned many skills that can be carried on with her to the real world, helping her in her future.

“I think being in journalism and working on The Feather is the most fulfilling and rewarding class any student can take,” Fries said. “It teaches the staffers how to hold a job, be accountable, meat deadlines and work together as a team. This class teaches life skills that will apply to any jobs we get in the future. Without this class, I would still have trouble conducting interviews, which is one of the most important skills to have, I think. Even though it is important to learn English and math, this class gives you confidence as a person and experience in a work-like environment.”

To keep up-to-date on events and circumstances that are occurring around the community, senior Matt Jenkins thinks reading the newspaper is a great way to do it. Not only does it keep him in the loop but Jenkins believes the paper is a great way to learn new things.

“If we didn’t have newspapers we wouldn’t know the history we know today,” Jenkins said. “I think it would help because if we didn’t have newspapers we wouldn’t know the foundation of something, like what’s going on in the world. It helps us keep updated on big events that are happening. You can also learn a lot of new things by reading different articles.”

As a journalist himself Stephan Melendez, ’13, knows how important it is to keep his personal thoughts out of his pieces. Melendez mainly writes restaurant reviews for The Feather making it all the more hard to keep it strictly facts when he is writing a news or features piece.

“I have to look at the facts and see if they are credible,” Melendez said. “Because I mainly write reviews it’s difficult for me to switch gears and strictly write facts. It’s hard but it’s the job so I have to get it done. When articles are purely facts they are filled with resources. For example I can look at the Wall Street Journal and look at the stock market and see where I’m at. It’s a great way to stay updated and to learn about what’s going on in the world.”

For junior Kaitie King, facts are the most important. King knows to make her articles credible she must obtain accurate information. By using quotes from others, King gives support to her articles making them more believable for the public. She sees the newspaper as a good source for learning, which is why she is dedicated to making sure she has the right information.

“When I write an article, I try to make sure that the quotes I obtain have accurate information and facts,” King said. “By writing, I’m creating something for people to read that is true and easy to comprehend. I try to clearly place the pieces of information in an orderly way, so that my article is understandable and logical. Newspaper articles are a good resource for anyone who wants to find factual information on a certain topic. Newspapers have quotes directly from people, providing the article with support.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @viv_hinojosa. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. Follow American Press Institure via Twitter: @AmPressInst.

For more features, read the March 5 article, Community backs hospital through Kid’s Day tradition (VIDEO).