BRIEF: PSAT offered to students, Oct. 15

PSAT1
[/media-credit] To prepare for the test, students are advised to look over this guide. More preparation resources can be found on the College Board.

The Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) will be offered to FC students, Oct. 15. This tests provides FC students with the chance to prepare for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), a test that will later affect students’ applications for college.

Students will take the PSAT at the Peoples Church gym at 8 a.m., but required to arrive at 7:50 a.m. for preparation. The cost for taking the PSAT is $14. Juniors are required to take the test, however freshmen and sophomores are optional, but recommended.

Copies of the Official Guide to the PSAT are available in the office. To prepare for the test, students are advised to look over this guide. More preparation resources can be found on the College Board. Students are advised to bring bring a number 2 pencil and an approved calculator, which are four-function, scientific and graphing calculators, for the test.

The PSAT also offers students in their junior year an opportunity to earn a scholarship from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). African American students can also apply for a scholarship from the National Scholarship Service (NSS), and Hispanic students can apply for a scholarship from the National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP).

The PSAT contains two 25-minute sections of questions based on critical reading, two 25-minute sections of questions based on math and one 30-minute writing skills section. The entire test will take approximately two hours, but unlike the SAT, the PSAT contains no written essay consisting of only multiple choice questions.

Taking the PSAT allows both students to see how they compare to other students on the state and national levels. It also allows our school to measure how successfully we are equipping students academically. I recommend that sophomores take the test. Freshman can also take the test, but the material is a little more advanced for their level. –Michelle Warkentin

Academic Advisor Michelle Warkentin believes that PSAT is beneficial for the students. She advises juniors for preparing for the test, along with the sophomores and freshmen who are willing to take it also.

“Taking the PSAT allows both students to see how they compare to other students on the state and national levels,” Warkentin said. “It also allows our school to measure how successfully we are equipping students academically. I recommend that sophomores take the test. Freshman can also take the test, but the material is a little more advanced for their level.”

Claire Kollenkark, ’16, has not been studying for the PSAT, but thinks that she can overcome the odds of passing the test.

“I’m really nervous about taking the test,” Kollenkark said. “However I think it’s beneficial so I can see where I’m at and and I can remember the things I’ve learned.”

Another student, Phillip Christopher, ’17, is also taking the test. However, he thinks that it’s good practice for next year.

“I’m taking the PSAT because my mom wants me to take it and it give me a better chance for next year,” Christopher said. “I’m not nervous for it because it really doesn’t count for me, so it gives me more practice for the real SAT.”

For more news, read the Oct. 3 article, Choir department to perform in first festival of year, critique expected.

This writer can be reached via Twitter @mattgarza2017.