Softball sport shorts: Sierra

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 1-4 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 13. The Eagles will next play against Orange Cove Titans, Mar. 20.

FC DEFEATED BY SIERRA, 14-4

The Eagles traveled to play the Sierra High Chieftains in their fifth non-league game of the season, March 13. Fresno led off the first inning with two runs, which were answered by four Chieftain runs. The second inning remained scoreless for both teams, and the third produced seven runs for Sierra.

Fresno Christian managed to earn two runs and shut out the Chieftains in the fourth inning, but were unable to answer the three runs scored by Sierra in the fifth and final inning of the game. Despite the Eagles’ efforts, they were defeated by Fresno High, 14-4.

Head coach Jeff Regan was frustrated by the game and by the loss, especially since he knows that the team has the physical ability to win and to play well. He does know, though, that to bring out the best physically, players need to be at the top of their game mentally. For a young team like the 2012-13 Eagles, the mental aspect will come with game experience.

“The game was a bit frustrating due to a lack of composure,” Regan said. “The ability is there, but the mental side is not where it needs to be, and the team needs to change this.”

He has been encouraged by the growth many of the players have exhibited since the beginning of the season, and he is pleased with the team’s improvement overall. In order to win the next games, though, he realizes that the Eagles will have to overcome the nervousness and mental instability that come from a lack of game time and experience.

“The individual players must play to their ability levels,” Regan said. “Five games into the season, nerves and inexperience need to be replaced by confidence and experience gained. The team needs to be unified, rather than separate parts, and our players need to be resilient, to bounce back against adversity.”

First-year outfielder Reanna Witt, ’13, was disappointed about the loss and she realizes that the team’s attitude at the beginning of the game set the tone for the rest of it.

“I think it was a tough game for the team because we were hot and just after the first inning the team got a little discouraged,” Witt said. “Next game we need to have confidence and keep our heads up regardless of what the game looks like. We need to go out there just like we do in practice and have fun regardless of how good the other team is.”

Although the game was a rough loss for the Eagles, Witt appreciated the effort coming from the mound and behind the plate. She knows, though , that to gain a victory in the next games, FC will have to make an effort to stay positive and put the mistakes from the past innings behind them.

“Jenna and Ashley did a great job pitching and catching,” Witt said. “Next game we all just need to go out with a smile and leave with a smile. We have to encourage each other,brush off the mistakes, have confidence that we will do great and just play to the best of our abilities.”

The Eagles will play next at home against the Orange Cove Titans at 3:30 p.m., Mar. 20.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42.

For more information, see the Mar. 15 article, Softball sport shorts: Fresno High.