Small campus classes offer individual attention

Fresno Christian High was founded over 25 years ago to provide a place where students could be challenged spiritually and academically and a place where all students are valued and given individual attention.

With only 285 students on campus, English and science classes often have less than 25 students. At private schools, students frequently receive the one-on-one attention they desire while enrollment in public school class often has over 40 students per class.

According to Pete Romero, school counselor at Hoover High School, of the Fresno Unified School District, the school has an enrollment of about 2,184 students.

While 9th grade English classes at Hoover have a teacher-student ratio of 20:1, most core classes this year are 35:1 and may increase next year due to budget concerns.

The overall student-teacher ratio at FC is 13:1 and provides opportunity for more individual attention. While core class ratios are higher, they consistently are 25:1 or less. Teachers often set a limit of maximum students for certain classes to ensure each student receives adequate assistance if needed.

“I have less than 10 students in my classes, however I believe a class of 12 students is the most ideal for interaction and learning,” Lonnie Godfrey, math teacher, said. “There is more opportunity for an individual student to have his questions answered more directly and thoroughly with different possible ways to approach solutions.”

Not only for the academic classes offered but also students taking electives need individual help in successfully completing their projects and learning the techniques.

“In my home economics classes I set a limit for at most 14 students,” Sharon Scharf, home economics and art teacher, said. “That puts two students per sewing machine and even then I find myself always busy moving group to group, helping the students on each project.”

Scharf added that without giving each student sufficient help and plenty of time to advise them, they simply will not finish their projects or learn the skills needed to be able to do it own their own.

Along with the benefits of individual attention, a private school also provides the opportunity to worship freely. Every Thursday during chapel students hear the word of the Lord and worship through song.

“I like going to chapel,” Justin Shanen, ’04, said. “I am really thankful that I get the opportunity to attend bible class. Most students don’t get to at a public school. When the bell rings, I don’t want to leave because I want to hear more.”

Many people believe the small school stereotype and size of FC is a detriment to the students because there are not as many opportunities or challenges that prepare them for college.

“Many public high school students fear that FC would not adequately prepare them academically for college,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “I believe FC does a great job at the academic preparation.”

Statistics have shown that an average of 95% of campus graduates go on to colleges across the country from city colleges to the UC system to the Ivy League on the East Coast.