BREAKING: Garza finds anonymous donor

During the trip students will visit the campuses of University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), University of California, Irvine, Vanguard University and one other college yet to be determined.
[/media-credit] Prior to his procedure, Garza will have to endure two weeks of radiation, and if all goes well, he will carry through with the procedure late October or early November.

This is a follow up of the previous BeTheMatch. For more information on Garza, read the Sept. 15 article, BeTheMatch: Stand for more (VIDEO).

Central High head football coach Justin Garza, battling Hodgkins Lymphoma since Jan. 2011, has been in search for numerous months of a bone marrow donor to save his life. With multiple bone marrow drives in his name, and tremendous efforts to spread the word about BeTheMatch, Garza’s prayers have been answered: he has found a match.

Garza will be on his way to Stanford Medical Center this Friday for a 90-day transplant process. Prior to his procedure, Garza will have to endure two weeks of radiation, and if all goes well, he will carry through with the procedure late October or early November. After the transplant, he will have to stay and live in Stanford under direct doctor care for three months.

Childhood friend and bone marrow drive coordinator Tosha Giuffrida is filled with many emotions knowing they are headed in the right direction.

“I was estatic to hear that Justin is moving in the right direction towards the transplant, although I know this is just the beginning to the next chapter of his journey,” Giuffrida said. “It’s rewarding to know there is still hope and a stranger has committed to save the life of another.”

I was estatic to hear that Justin is moving in the right direction towards the transplant, although I know this is just the beginning to the next chapter of his journey. It’s rewarding to know there is still hope and a stranger has committed to save the life of another. –Tosha Giuffrida

Although Garza has found a match, the strong willingness to raise awareness of people in need of bone marrow donors will not stop here.

“We started these drives to educate people about the importance of joining the marrow registry, not only for Justin, but for the 18,000 people needing a match,” Giuffrida said. “Our mission has not changed. We will continue the drives and of course be there to support Justin and his family as necessary.”

Prayers for not only Garza, but also his anonymous donor would be greatly appreciated.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @ashhasthescoop.

For more information about Justin Garza, check out the Fresno Bee article, Prep football: Central’s Garza sees cancer fight hit higher risk level.