Blossoms peak on first day of Spring

This is a three-part feature following the growth of the blossoms on the Fresno County Blossom Trail. Each part will display photography by either Ryan King, Photo Editor or Rayna Endicott, Photographer, as a timeline of growth of during the beginning of the Spring season. As this will feature the blossoms during mid-day, the next will be at sunset.

For the previous installment read the Feb. 20 article, Blossoms rise with the seasonal weather, sunshine.

During the peak of blooming, the San Joaquin Valley’s Fresno County Blossom Trail has produced various types of flowers right in time for the first day of Spring, March 20.

This is the 25th annual Blossom Trail, in the Valley, which has caused a mass of photographers, bikers, and sightseers to roam the trail. The blossoms are located along Highway 180, were a variety of pink and white hues can be seen across acres of land, which will soon turn into various friuts and nuts of the valley.

According to the Blossom Trail Update the trail has just started to wind down. Petals have been seen falling like snowflakes. Even though the flowers have begun to fall, the crops are still covered in flowering blossoms.

The best time to go was last week and the best day was, March 13. The temperatures were in the mid 70s to low 80s, making the flowers stay on the trees, and keep them from closing up.

All of the blossoms can be seen in the Blossom Trail, that are harvested there, which includes: almonds, plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines and apples. The peaches and nectarines are the most commonly seen blossoms right now, which feature pink to red petals, along with the almond blossoms, which have white petals.

Right now, spectators can see bees pollinating the blossoms, especially almond blossoms, which are the number one pollinated crop on blossom trail and in California according to the Almond Board of California. Much of the percentage of almonds in the United States originate from California.

Becuase of the slight chance of rain today, blossoms may close again, but will rise next week, because of the temperatures ranging in the mid 70s to low 80s.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RKPhotographyRK. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more updates of the Fresno County Blossom Trail, check out the
Trail Update.

For more features, read the March 19 article, Annual Econ Fair promotes originality, business (PODCAST, VIDEO).