Softball sport shorts: Kings Christian

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 2-5 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 22. The Eagles will next play against the Roosevelt Rough Riders, April 5.

EAGLES DEFEAT CRUSADERS–19-4
The Eagles traveled to play the Kings Christian Crusaders in their seventh non-league game of the season. FC led off the first inning with eight runs, answered by only three from the Crusaders. The second inning remained scoreless for both teams, but the third yielded six runs for the Eagles and one for the home team, making the score 14-4.

Despite the pitching change in the fourth inning for Kings Christian, the visiting team earned five runs in the fourth inning and the Crusaders were unable to answer. The game was called after the fifth inning, which also produced no runs for either team and FC defeated Kings Christian by a score of 19-4.

Assistant coach Audrey Tamondong was pleased with the result of the team’s efforts and is glad to see that the girls’ self-confidence has grown, especially since the tough loss of the previous game.

“We played great on Friday!” Tamondong said. “Each game is building confidence in our players. All these preleague games are played just for that reason.”

Tamondong has noticed that the team has a hard time remaining consistent in its ability to hit the ball and get on base when it has the opportunity. She hopes to see more of the offensive production that the team displayed in this game as the season progresses and the team begins league games.

“From one game to the other, we go from not swinging to getting hits,” Tamondong said. “My hope for our team is that we will communicate more next game, keep hitting, and keep supporting each other.”

Coach Jeff Regan appreciated the adjustments that the girls made from last game’s performance, especially in playing to their abilities. He did see that there was a little trouble in knowing where to go with the ball when it was put into play and in allowing runners to get on base, but he thought the players carried out the game plan well.

“It was great to see the team and individual players doing what they are capable of,” Regan said. “There needs to be more awareness of what to do and when to do it, and on defense there needs to be fewer base runners due to errors and walks, but execution {of plays} was well done. It was a matter of taking care of business.”

Overall, Regan thought the team played a great game, offensively and defensively, and he was encouraged by the improvements he saw. He does realize, though, that continued success will require constant growth in the girls and the team as a whole.

“The team did a good job putting the ball into play, making plays on defense, scoring runs and keeping the foot on the gas,” Regan said. “Next game I am hoping to see more of the same. The team and individuals need to keep things moving in a positive direction. Regardless of who we play, constant improvement and learning is a must.”

FC will next host the Roosevelt Rough Riders at 2 p.m., April 5.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42.

For more information, see the March 18 article, Softball sport shorts: Sierra.