Soak up the sun: Join the Discussion

As students finish off the end of third quarter, many are ready to rest. This week off for Spring Break is the last break before summer vacation.

For some, this week of rest is significant to the Christian faith. People remember Good Friday as well as rejoice on Easter Sunday because of Jesus’ resurrection.

The Easter Bunny is an important figure within this holiday. The Easter Bunny was started by the medieval church as a symbol for fertility. People believed that the bunny could reproduce without the lose of fertility. Later it was correlated with the Virgin Mary.

As tradition holds, the Easter Bunny delivers colored eggs, candy and toys to children on Easter Sunday. Many families hold Easter egg hunts for children during the holiday.

During this week of rest, students will visit the beach or get involved in a ministry at their church. Many will also attend church on Easter Sunday.

The Feather staff would like to encourage any students who got asked to submit their stories in the comments below.

Confetti traditions
Summer Villanueba, ’15
March 25, 2013

For the beginning of my Spring Break I will be spending time with my family doing traditional Easter things from my heritage. My grandparents will be stuffing eggs with confetti and crack them on our heads. I will also be going to six flags with a couple of my friends.

Mariage and manicures
Jordana Siebert, Social Science teacher
March 25, 2013

I am actually going down south to Lake Forest. That?s where my fiance is from, and we have premarital counseling there. Because the pastor who is marrying us is from there. Tomorrow, I am going to hang out with Miss Gillespie. Maybe we?ll go shopping, get some manicures, hang out, eat food, do what girls do.

Percussionist passion
Chloe Duerr, ’14
March 25, 2013

I know Spring Break is the time for everyone to relax, but Mrs. Sargent assigned us a five-page essay. So now I?m going to be working on my essay because it?s also our English final for AP English. For Percussion there are two competitions coming up and they are both solo and ensemble. I have to practice for my solo during the competition in April. I have two twelve hour percussion camps down in Hoover to play for the championships for Winter Percussion, and will end it all by hanging out with friends at Laserquest.

Missions at home
Marisa Jonigian, ’16
March 25, 2013

During Spring Break I’m going to work at a missions trip in Fresno called I Heart Fresno. We go to elementary school and play. In the evening we have a chapel where we go and worship.

Chilling in Arizona
Nick Fontes, ’15
March 25, 2013

I am flying to see my family in Arizona with my little sister and I am looking forward to chilling with my grandparents and my uncle.

Chores and church
Kim Schapansky, Choir accompanist
March 25, 2013

I have a list of things to do during my spring break. At the top of my list I have to finish up my income tax. I’ve got a couple of closets to clean out, some music and stuff to get organized. I?m hoping to get out in the yard and pull some weeds, spend some time with my son, maybe go to the movies. I can sleep in longer rather than get up early to go to work. I?ll be going to the Good Morning Baptism sermon at my church during Easter, and will probably spend some time with my family.

Fun in the sun
Timothy Nyberg, ’16
March 25, 2013

I am going camping in Pismo with my family. They will come over, and we will go over to church and listen to the sermon. Later we will have an Easter Egg hunt with our cousins.

Family and friends
Jordan Castro, ’15
March 25, 2013

I’m looking forward to spending time with my family and going to tennis practice. Not to mention hanging out with my friends.

Home for the holidays
Lucas Lopez, ’14
March 25, 2013

For the most part, I’ll be at home. I’ll go and hang out with friends for sure. I have some homework unfortunately so I’ll be working on that too. But I look forward to relaxing during the break.

Fun with friends
Lynn Kim, ’13
March 25, 2013

During spring break I will be going over to LA with my friends. The three of us will be going over by train. It’s going to be a lot of fun because there are nice Korean places in LA, and good Korean food.

Family time
Michael Ogdon, Music director
March 25, 2013

During Spring Break I’m thinking of three things. I’m going to write music, participate in some church services, and pick up and drop off my daughter at school.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @rkphotographyrk.

For more features, read the March 25 article, Swearengin covers issues faced by Downtown Fresno.