EDITORIAL: Moral convictions lead to self-confidence, support

As defined by Webster’s Online Dictionary, moral means of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior; sanctioned by or operative on one’s conscience or ethical judgment; expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior.

Where does society draw the line when it comes right and wrong? How do we, as humans, measure what is acceptable and what is not? The Feather staff hopes to encourage its readers to develop their own opinions, with the ability to support what they believe in.

Whether it be with movies, music, religion, politics or even family, everyone holds different viewpoints, which can therefore cause disagreement and tension between certain groups. Though it may be difficult to hold fast to what you personally think, The Feather staff encourages its readers to solidify the reasons behind their thinking in order to help maintain a stable basis to fall back on.

In the realm of politics, heavy disagreements can always be found between the Republican and Democratic parties. One party may support a proposition while another completely goes against the idea. Even though one party may think they have a more reasonable solution to a problem than another party, the same may be true for the opposing party.

You may not be able to immediately persuade others towards what you believe in, but by having solid information and examples on what you are confident in, you are more likely to advise and educate others about an important topic.

Often times for teenagers, the issue of alcohol and drugs can be a big debate. It is so easy for teens to feel the pressure of participating in what their friends are doing, regardless of what it may be. It is more likely for people to fall into the pressure if they have not established their opinions on issues beforehand.

The ability to make the decision not to engage in illegal or inappropriate activities in advance, with the purpose of why, allows teenagers to better evaluate and handle problems when faced with various situations. The pressures become less prevalent in one’s life, and personal convictions become more important than trying to please others.

According to Aristotle, “Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts.” The exercise of forming your opinion on why you agree or disagree with something enables you to more confidently say, “yes,” or “no,” to explain your point of view, without feeling inadequate.

In light of the April 1 press release by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which announced the consideration of lightening the enforcement of profanity and non-sexual nudity on public television, many hold various positions on this subject. The FCC is currently seeking the public’s comments on whether the Commission should adjust its current indecency policy or retain their current policy.

While some believe that the times are changing and new propositions like the FCC’s will become the “norm,” others believe that loose censoring will decrease the safeguard for children. The need to protect the innocence of young ones is becoming less important, and the growth of “everything is acceptable” is developing.

The Feather staff hopes to motivate its readers to develop their opinons and seek the necessary sources to help expand their reasoning. Each individual has the free will to make their own decisions, but while there is freedom, that does not always mean something is beneficial.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more editorials, read the March 18 article, EDITORIAL: Make each moment count.