Junior runner expands athleticism through track

Even though junior year can be stressful for some due to challenging classes and preparing for college, it did not stop Jon Agao from joining the track team. Besides track, Agao has played on FC varsity boys soccer and ran cross country.

Agao currently runs the 4×400 long distance in track with three other teammates. He also participates in the 200m sprints, 400m sprints and occasionally the 4×1.

Agao decided to join the team this year, because his former cross country coach, Ross Laird along with his father saw potential in him and suggested he should join the track team.

“At first, I was not really sure that I wanted to do track,” Agao said. “One day, my dad came up to me and told me that I should join the track team, since I am good at running. My former cross country coach suggested that I do track as well, since all the skills that I learned from cross country are going be helpful. After I talked to both of them, I decided to join because I was not doing anything better in my spare time and I wanted to get in shape.”

According to Agao, he enjoys attending track meets, since he has an opportunity to meet other athletes and see his hard work paying off.

“My favorite part is going to track meets,” Agao said. “Because I see many other people who all work extremely hard at this sport. Also, I just enjoy seeing the result of my hard work.”

Varsity track coach Myster Holliman helps him tremendously on the field and outside of the field as well, Agao says. Holliman gives helpful advice on how to become a better athlete. He also looks up to Holliman spiritually.

“I very much enjoy being coached by Myster Holliman,” Agao said.”He is an extremely cool and godly man. He always gives good advices and tells me how I can be a better athlete. Not only that, but I look up to him spiritually because I can tell that he is very close to God. He really is a good person to talk to about anything. I am very blessed that I have such an amazing coach like him.”

Holliman sees the passion Agao possesses to be a leader for the team as well as an example. Holliman compliments Agao on his improvements throughout the season so far.

“This is Jon’s first year and like many people on the team, he wants to be a leader on the track because he is one of the oldest athletes out there,” Holliman said. “Jon has the potential to be an incredible sprinter,” Holliman said. “The jumps he has made are drastic, from the beginning of the season till now; he leaves nothing on the track. In regards to his team mates, Agao wants to be a leader so that the team does all around better.”

According to Agao, he had an opportunity to get to know his teammates since the team is smaller this year. Even though many people on the team have different personalities, they work together as one.

“The team is pretty interesting as there are people from all different groups on the team,” Agao said. “So it is like a strange melting pot of funny random people. I like our small team, because I had an opportunity to get to know my teammates’ personally.”

Even though there are many categories to choose from, Agao decided to do the 4×400 relay due to his ability to run fast; he enjoys competing with his three other teammates.

“The 4×400 is my best event,” Agao said. “It’s very cool to have three other teammates working their hardest so we can all earn a medal. I chose 4×400, because it is one of the few areas in track where you get to work with teammates. I always try to do my best, because I don’t want to disappoint my three teammates.”

Since Agao enjoys running, he has participated in cross country and soccer, too. He believes that playing sports has shaped him as a person and track is different from other sports he has played.

“I have done cross country and soccer before,” Agao said. “Both of those sports involve running, so I think they helped my performance in track. I really enjoy soccer and cross country, but the relays are the best events as every member is given a spotlight.”

Support from friends and family members helps him tremendously, he said. Agao says that it is encouraging to know that his supporters want to see him do his best.

“It is very encouraging to hear others cheering for me,” Agao said. “It seems to give small burst of more energy while racing. It makes me realize that people want to see me succeed and work hard.”

Holliman appreciates the dedication Agao shows among his teammates. When an exercise is given that may be too hard for some of the team members to handle, Holliman notices Agao’s perseverance to finish the drill.

“What sets him apart form the rest of his team mates is his extreme work ethic and his inability to accept failure,” Holliman said. “He has been on training the longest this year. Even when we are out there doing push ups, more than the team can handle, he will not allow his team mates see himself fail and that’s what will keep driving him during the season.”

Since track is a physically demanding sport, Agao leans on God for mental support. Agao says that his relationship with God helps him when he is going through tough times.

“My relationship with God helps me on the field,” Agao said. “I know with him, I can push through all obstacles. So even if the results are not as good, I just try to remember that my first priority should be the Lord, not placing first in every meet.”

According to Agao, joining the track team has taught him some valuable life lessons as well. He learned to endure and persevere through struggles and never give up.

“Sometimes, track can be really hard,” Agao said. “However, I learned that if I want the best result, I need to endure through difficult times. I just don’t even think about the pain, but remember the great results coming in the future. I also have learned how to manage my time more efficiently through practices and meets.”

Agao’s mother, Lisa, says that she is proud of her son, since he has decided to learn a new sport. She also enjoys seeing the teammates working together and cheering each other on.

“I’m proud of Jonathon, because he has decided to learn a new sport that is very challenging,” Lisa said. “Let’s face it, running is not easy. He has challenged his body in many new ways as he trains for this sport. I also like seeing all the team members run. They are learning to work together as a team and cheer each other on. They are learning to hand off the baton as efficiently as possible. They are learning strategies for winning. These are lessons that will help him in life too.”

Junior teammate Annalise Rosik says that she is impressed and encouraged by Agao’s effort.

“Jon practices hard every day and always puts forth his best effort,” Rosik said. “I’ve never heard him complain which always encourages me to lead through example as he does.”

After high school, Agao plans on attending college and major in either computer or software engineering. Agao does not plan on doing track in college, since it requires more time.

“After high school, I want to go to college and pursue either a computer or software engineering degree. I do not plan on doing track in college as it does require more time than I would want to spend on it while in college.”

For more sports, read the April 16 article, Softball sport shorts: Fowler.