Brothers compete, bond through spring-time sport

Sometimes, it can be hard for brothers to get along at home, let alone at school or on the tennis court. However, for Daniel, ’14, and Andrew Moore, ’16, tennis has been a good way for them to bond while competing on the same team.

The Moore brothers, who have been attending FC since kindergarden, have decided to play on the varsity tennis team. They think that playing together will improve both their relationship and their tennis skills.

Both Daniel and Andrew have been playing tennis for a at least three years, each beginning while in junior high. Daniel thinks that they continued through high school after getting involved in the sport.

“We started playing tennis in junior high,” Daniel said. “We both decided to continue playing tennis into our high school careers. This will be my third year on the team and Andrew’s first year.”

While a lot of athletes are usually motivated by someone else to play a specific sport, the Moore brothers were self inspired. The brothers got involved with the sport because of their own interest.

“A lot of our friends were playing, so we decided to join the team,” Andrew said. “Our parents played tennis a little bit in their youth, but they never really pressured us to play. It was pretty much just us trying out something new.”

Their parents, Janet and Rick, are very supportive of their kids playing tennis. Janet thinks it was a good thing that her sons are playing together.

“Daniel and Andrew have always gotten along and been there for each other,” Janet said. “I think it is great that they are playing together because if one of them is struggling, then the other one can help him out and encourage him. I played a little tennis in my youth, but it was mostly their decision to play.”

Head tennis coach and campus Bible teacher, Robert Foshee has many good things to say about the brothers. He enjoys having Daniel and Andrew on the team because of their hard-working attitudes.

“Daniel and Andrew Moore are very dedicated athletes on the team,” Foshee said. “They are always eager to learn and try their hardest in practice and in games. It is also fun to be able to see them bond on court.”

Senior Kristen Rosenthal enjoys having the Moore brothers on the team as she thinks it adds a family atmosphere to the team.

“It’s funny having both of them on the team because they are so different,” Rosenthal said. “They really don’t play together that much, but they bring a good spirit and attitude to our team. Everyone loves them.”

Brandon Porter, ’13, also thinks that both Andrew and Daniel work hard, but they are so similar that he doesn’t associative them much.

“Honestly, I don’t even think about it,” Porter said. “They’re both so different, other than appearance, that I don’t even think about them as brothers. I know they work on their playing outside of practice, so it must be nice to have someone to play with and compete with outside the season.”

Daniel is a true three-sport athlete. Alongside tennis, he has also participated in cross-country during the fall and soccer during the winter.

“One reason I really wanted to play tennis is because it is so laid back compared to cross-country and soccer,” Daniel said. “I wanted to play a sport to stay active, but i was pretty tired from the seasons. Tennis seemed like an ideal sport to end the school year. It has officially become my favorite sport because how relaxed it is.”

While Daniel is occupied all year round with sports, his younger brother’s schedule is a little more free. Besides tennis Andrew also enjoys participating in soccer.

“I played soccer with my brother this year too,” Andrew said. “It was too much for me to be constantly playing sports all year round, so I just stuck to two sports. I think I enjoy tennis more than soccer because it’s a lot less pressure in the {soccer} games.”

The writer can be reached via Twitter: @Dooooman10. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the April 18 article, Junior runner expands athleticism through track.