Softball sport shorts: Minarets

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 2-14 overall and 0-8 in the West Sequoia League as of May 2. The Eagles will next play against the Parlier Panthers, May 6.

MINARETS DEFEATS FC, 8-2

The Eagles hosted the Minarets Mustangs in their eighth league game of the 2012-2013 season, May 2. The Mustangs led off the game with one run in the first inning, which the Eagles were unable to answer in their first ups. The second inning produced three runs for Minarets but none for FC. The third inning remained scoreless for both teams, leaving the score at 4-0 Minarets.

In their fourth ups, the visiting team added two runs to their total and the Eagles scored for the first time in the game. The fifth inning yielded one run for the Mustangs, and each team scored one run in the sixth. FC was able to shut out the visiting team in the seventh inning, but they were not able to make up the six-run gap in their final ups. Minarets emerged victorious by a score of 8-2, keeping the Eagles from breaking their nine-game loss streak.

Assistant coach Lisa Mejia was pleased with a few of her players’ job at the plate, and she appreciated their aggressive attitude at bat. She does know, however, that the defense still leaves a lot to be desired.

“Today’s game had some great offense, and Gaby [Siqueiros], Ashley [Garcia] and Skyler [Lee] all had amazing hits!” Mejia said. “Our defense is lacking right now, though.”

Mejia says that the defense is just making simple mistakes and that they need to return to fundamentals in order to be successful for the last couple of league games.

“We need to just watch the ball into our gloves, and stick to fundamentals!” Mejia said. “I hope we just come out ready to play for our last two league games!”

Shortstop Gaby Siqueiros feels that the team is making significant improvements, but still falls short in the mental aspect of the game.

“We made some good plays,” Siqueiros said. “We could have been more prepared mentally, though. I think we just didn’t start off with a game time attitude. Next game, I hope we don’t give up and we better give them a run for their money.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Parlier Panthers, May 6 at 4 p.m.

This writer can be reached on Twitter at @JennaWeimer42.

For more sports, read the May 3 article, Softball sport shorts: Fowler.