Softball sport shorts: Parlier

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 2-7 overall and 0-1 in the West Sequoia League as of April 8. The Eagles will next play against the Fowler Redcats, April 11.

EAGLES LOSE FIRST WSL GAME
The Eagles hosted the Parlier Panthers in their first league game of the season, April 8 at 4 p.m. The Panthers led off the first inning with four runs, which were answered by two Eagle scores. Neither team scored in the second inning, but the third produced six runs for Parlier and two for FC. The fourth inning also remained scoreless for both teams, keeping the score at 10-4.

The visiting team was able to earn three runs in the fifth inning, and the Eagles replied with two runs. Parlier scored another three runs, which were answered by only one FC score, in the sixth inning. Although the Panthers were unable to score in the final inning and the home team added one run to its total, Parlier emerged victorious by a score of 16-8.

Assistant coach Lisa Mejia hopes that as the team gains experience through playing, the girls will begin to settle down in their positions and concentrate on the game, instead of being so nervous that they will make mistakes. Although they did not win the game against Parlier, she believes that it was just an off day and that the girls are capable of much more if they learn to get past the nerves.

“Today was an off day, and nerves got the best of us!” Mejia said. “We need to relax and focus. As we go on in league I want us to get a better understanding of the game and that will help a lot.”

Second baseman Emily Gonzales, ’15, knows that the defense will need some work, especially on routine plays, if the team hopes to get any better. Regardless of the Eagles’ win-loss record, though, she just wants to see growth individually and corporately as they continue to play together.

“I think we need to work on our defense,” Gonzales said. “We’ve got to make the basic plays. I hope as a team we can grow in each experience whether winning or losing.”

This writer can be reached on Twitter at @JennaWeimer42.

For more information, see the April 10 article, Softball Sport Shorts: Roosevelt.