BRIEF: Spanish classes to visit Univision

As an annual event, Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth will take her Spanish II and III students to Univision radio and TV station, April 19. The students will leave FC at 8:45 a.m. on a charter bus, and will arrive back at school during fifth period.

Spanish II students will tour the studio and take notes, while Spanish III students will have an opportunity to be on air and demonstrate how to cook a Spanish dish.

According to sophomore Mikayla Miller, she is excited to visit the studio because she will have a chance to learn more about putting the show together, while socializing with her friends.

“I am very excited to visit Univision,” Miller said. “I will get to hang out with my friends but also learn more about the behind the scenes of how difficult it is to put a show on the air. Hopefully it will help me improve my Spanish.”

Junior Jonathan Nyberg agrees with Miller and said that he is looking forward to visiting Univision, since he will be able to learn more about the Spanish culture and the process of filming and editing.

“I am glad that Senora Foth arranged this field trip for us,” Nyberg said. “I know not a lot of other schools don’t get to go to Univision, so I am thankful. Since I am in Video Productions, I am going to pay special attention to how the professionals there film and edit. Overall, I believe that it will be a good experience.”

According to Foth, her goal is to show her students the work that is put into producing TV shows and use what they have learned outside of class.

“Univision is the most important Spanish speaking TV channel and chain of stations in the U.S.,” Foth said. “My goal is for students to get a glimpse (since it is impossible to learn all of it in one tour, in one experience) of the work they do in this country and what a huge audience they reach every day. I want them to use what they have learned in class in a different situation and environment. Also, that challenges are good. I hope this experience will also encourage them to learn even more and to practice Spanish outside the classroom. ”

Foth believes that practicing Spanish and visiting Univision will provide future job opportunities for some students.

“I want my students to see first hand that learning Spanish could open up new doors and horizons in this area of work they may have never even considered before,” Foth said. “You never know, more than one could find their future field of study and job just by visiting Univision.”

According to senior Rachel Quiring, who attended the field trip last year, she enjoyed watching how newscasts are made. The field trip also helps benefit the Spanish III students due to the opportunity to speak Spanish on the air.

“I enjoyed visitig Univision,” Quiring said. “Because I liked seeing how the news is made. I think it is a fun field trip. The Spanish III class in particular learns a lot because they actually speak Spanish on the air.

For more news, read the April 12 article, SAT-10 tests students’ knowledge, displays school’s progress.