BRIEF: Annual competition creates class pride

After major events such as Night of the Stars (NOTS) and Sadies, the annual Powder Puff football game is set to take place on the FC North field at 6 p.m., April 19th. In preparation for the competition, each class has been practicing during lunch, with the hope of strategizing and creating a game plan.

First time participant, Macy Mascarenas, ’16, says that she is excited for the event because she will have a chance to bond with her friends and play football. The freshman class plans on defeating the juniors by practicing and planning thoroughly.

“I am very excited for Powder Puff this year,” Mascarenas said. “I usually don’t get to play football, so I am glad that we have a chance to play football and just have fun with friends. Our biggest concern is the juniors because they were really good the past two years but we are going to try our best to defeat them.”

Sophomore Brittany Lewis says that she will not be participating in the event since she was not able to attend practices. Lewis believes that her class will come up with plays that will lead them to victory.

“Unfortunately, I will not be playing football during Powder Puff,” Lewis said. “I wanted to play but I didn’t have enough time to go to all the practices. But I am going to watch my class play for sure because they did great last year, so I am sure they will come up with great plays this year as well.”

According to junior Robert Hill, who coached the junior team for the past who years, he believes that the junior class will place first.

“Sadly, I won’t be a coach during Powder Puff this year,” Hill said. “I wasn’t asked to do it this year, so I guess I’ll be in the audience this year. I’m sure the team will be great this year, just like they were the two years that I coached. The juniors got some real talent for powderpuff, so I am confident that they will win. I wish them the best of luck.”

Senior Line Kim says that she is looking forward to attending the event. Although many believe that the junior class will place first, Kim believes that the seniors have a chance to win.

“I am looking forward to going to Powder Puff,” Kim said. “I know a lot of people are saying that the juniors are going to win but I believe that our class will do fine, too. I won’t be playing but I am going to cheer for my classmates for sure.”

Jordan Boudreau, ’13, agrees with Kim and says that he is excited to attend. He believes that the seniors will be able to defend senior pride by winning.

“Powder Puff is exciting because it is a fun school event where all the classes get to join and compete together,” Boudreau said. “Hopefully we will be able to defend our senior pride.”

For more news, read the April 18 article, New courses deepen students’ knowledge for future careers.