Sewing creations boost confidence

Turning a simple piece of fabric into a unique, one-of-a-kind pillow is a task that even most moms would find overwhelming.

For the campus home economics class, however, this daunting task has become a core part of their curriculum as Sharon Scharf, home economis teacher, leads her class into the intricate world of needlework.

?I think that the home?ec students have surprised themselves with the projects they have made,? Scharf said. ?Once you get the taste of success, it kind of gets into your blood and you start to wonder what else you can make. Your creative mind starts to go wild.?

After students create their pillows, they marvel at their completion of a project that once seemed undoable.

Sasha Arroyo, ?07, spent hours of concentrated class work in the creation of her unique pillows.

?It was hard work, but so much fun,? Arroyo said. ?I am redecorating my room, and so this project really encouraged me to do my best and showed me that I can be creative. It was fun to take my pillow home once I was done and show my mom that I can do something she can?t.?

The astonishment that parents and friends exhibit when they see the completed pillows feels worth the hours of time put into the project.

?I was thrilled when Sasha completed her pillow,? Scharf said. ?One of my greatest joys as a teacher is to have a student feel a sense of accomplishment after completing a project. The realization that she had created something that is uniquely hers gave her such joy.?

Through this project, the home-ec students have learned to create something that fits their unique style. For more information on home economics, contact Scharf at 299-1695, ext. 5, or e-mail her at [email protected].