Students prepare to take SAT, testing schedules and information

All juniors are required to take the PSAT test this year. Warkentin says that it is the most useful resource for students who plan to take the SAT.
[/media-credit] All juniors are required to take the PSAT test this year. Warkentin says that it is the most useful resource for students who plan to take the SAT.

Academic Adviser gives test taking advice

Every year in the months of October and September, seniors and juniors across the country prepare to take the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). On this day the PC Gym is laden with tables, chairs and in many cases nervous students. The test begins and pencils bubble in answer after answer. Below are the SAT and PSAT (Pre-Scholastic Aptitude Test) testing dates along with the best ways to study according to Academic Advisor Michelle Warkentin.

Schedule

PSAT
Date: Oct. 11
Location: PC Gym
Time: starts at 8 a.m.

Students should arrive at least ten minutes early.

SAT
Date: Oct. 11
Registration ends: Sept. 12
Location: Check out the SAT Test Search Center for a list of all testing areas near you
Time: starts at 8 a.m.
Late registration with fee: Sept. 13-30

“It {the PSAT} is the best preparation for the SAT that a student can do,” Warkentin said . “It will give them an idea of what the SAT will look like types of questions, structure, etc. The PSAT is a great tool for students to identify where they are at academically compared to other juniors in the state and local context. It is also a great rubric for FC to identify where our strengths and weaknesses are at and gives us a good idea on what areas our students need more support.”

Worship Band member, Alexis Kalugin, ’16, plans to take the SAT in the spring. She says that she is apprehensive about the math and language sections.

“I’m nervous because my opportunity to go to college sort of relies on my SAT scores,” Kalugin said. “I?m most nervous about math and English because I?m afraid I?m going to forget the different math formulas. For English the issue is not studying all the right vocab.”

Warkentin recommends several programs in the Fresno area for those who have pre-test nerves or wish to increase their testing skills. One of these recommended programs is the College Planning and Tutorial Center.

To sign up for the SAT, visit the The College Board.

For more news, read Aug. 29 article, Student Leadership: Speaks out.

For more information contact Michelle Warkentin in the academic advisory office:
Email: [email protected]

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronlilne. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee.