Melendez attends select USD preview, confirms college choice

Typically, freshman entering the University of San Diego (USD) have earned an accumulative 3.9 GPA and an 1800 SAT score. With that said, the institution only admits 1,074 students that semester.

To receive the letter of acceptance from my number one choice school was the most exhilarating, exciting and overwhelming feeling of my life. Success and accomplishment were the two words that ran through my mind. The University of San Diego is number one in the nation for their overseas program, and I could not believe I was a chosen participant for the event.

Only a hand full of multi-cultural students were invited for the ME@USD (Multicultural Experience @ University of San Diego) overnight experience, April 12-13. I felt honored to be asked to participate in the newly launched program.

ME@USD is a fairly new program. Four years ago, Assistant Director of Multicultural Recruitment, Joseph Davidson, helped develop a program that would be beneficial for potential students. Previously working for Washington State University and successful with the multicultural recruitment there, he came to USD to start an annual program that would provide students with the opportunity to participate in an overnight experience that one could not receive just by statistics on the institutions website or campus tour.

Like the analogy Davidson gave me, looking for the right University is like shopping for the right pair of shoes. It is one thing to see a pair of shoes you like, but it s another thing to slip on the pair and actually choose whether it is the right fit. Because of this program’s great success, USD has seen an influx of students that attend the overnight program enroll for the fall semester.

With potential students traveling to the institution from as far as the East Coast, USD paid for the flight students transportation arrangements. The three day, two night program included: being matched with a USD student (host), spending the night in the residence halls, eating in the award-winning dining facilities, attend classes, and most of all, socializing with others to acclimate to the dynamics USD offers. Arriving six hours early, I took nap in the Undergraduate Admissions office until the program started.

Over ninety potential fall freshman participated in the program, a few of whom I became close with. Provided with pizza and refreshments, this was the time for all high school seniors to become acquainted with each other. I met students from Arizona, Colorado, New York, Florida and many other states. Right after orientation started, the administration laid out the rules for the stay.

After the orientation, all students were divided up into separate groups named after historical landmarks, including Balboa Park, Gaslamp District, Sea Port village and a couple of other places. As loud as I am, I was automatically elected the leader for my group, Balboa Park. One of the events of the first day was to complete a scavenger hunt and find all the objects on the check list given to us.

One aspect I loved about the scavenger hunt was the fact it was used as a tool to become familiar with the campus and the students. One of the objectives of the hunt was to take pictures with students, the mascot, foreign exchange students, professors and many other people. As introverted as I am, I had no problem talking to random people. At the end of the scavenger hunt, the students in my group walked away with memories that would last forever.

Once the two hour allotted time was finished, we all went to Solomon Theater, located in Maher Hall to meet our hosts. Anxiously waiting, I was excited to meet with my host. His name is Travis McDow, a great guy. For a while I felt intimidated because he is a football player. While talking to him, we found common ground, interests and even friends. Shockingly, one of his buddies was friends with a couple of my buddies back home, so it made getting to know Travis easier.

He he paid for my dinner and some snacks, took the time to get to know me, and even introduced me to all his friends. At the end of the day, all his friends were my friends; this showed me that USD had something to offer that most schools can’t–friends. On Friday, the second day, Travis, a couple of his buddies and I went to see a USD baseball game at Fowler Field.

Towards the ending of the program, we all sat down for the last game of the event and a specially catered dinner. Divided into groups, we all competed in a singing competition, but not just any singing competition. The objective was to sing a song from a word the instructor said. The competition became heated, since I am very competitive it did not end as well as I hoped but in the end I had fun. The same night the entire ME@USD program put on a dance for the students to socialize and share experience; it was at that moment I decided to make USD my future home.

The last day was College Visiting Day (CVD). Thousands of parents and potential students entered and exited the premises of USD in hope that their child might choose the right institution. Towards the end of my stay, I really got close with Travis and his roommate Graham Bennett, another football player, and good friend Logan Smith. Having gotten close with the freshman class, I was given the new name of Pablo, I was accepted as one of them, and it felt great.

Travis and Graham dropped me off at the airport and I said my goodbyes; I honestly had never had so much fun on a college campus before and I was very sad to leave. But the following Monday, I sent in my registration for to become a future Torero. In the fall, I am proud to say that I will double majoring in Architecture and Business Administration with a minor in Spanish at the University of San Diego.

USD is a not just a school, but a place many call home. Anyone who attends USD will have the opportunity to achieve a top notch education, live on a beautiful campus, participate in small classes, get to know amazing faculty, and enjoy a welcoming campus community in one of the most beautiful and fun cities in the country.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @StephanMelendez.

For more opinions, read the April 24 article, College Corner: Rejection letters.