Softball sport shorts: Caruthers

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 2-12 overall and 0-6 in the West Sequoia League as of April 26. The Eagles will next play against the Fowler Redcats, April 29.

EAGLES HOST RAIDERS, LOSE 22-8
The Eagles hosted the Caruthers Blue Raiders in their sixth league game of the 2012-’13 season at 4 p.m., April 25. Although Caruthers led off the game with three runs in the first inning, FC answered with seven runs in their first ups. The second inning yielded five runs for the Blue Raiders, and, taking the lead, they were able to shut out the Eagles before they could respond.

Neither the visiting team nor the home team were able to score any runs in the third, fourth or fifth innings, keeping the game at a close 8-7. However, in the sixth and final inning, the Blue Raiders scored 13 runs, blowing the Eagles out of the water. FC was able to answer with only one run in their final ups, and Caruthers emerged victorious, 21-8.

Head coach Jeff Regan was excited about the closeness of the game despite the crushing loss at the end. He believes that the girls are fully capable of winning; the team simply lost its cool. Next game he hopes to see the team stay strong without losing focus through the whole game, not just for the first few innings.

“We were in a one-run game into the sixth inning, right in there with them,” Regan said. “We could have stayed there through the end of the game. We are getting closer to our goal of finishing a game without losing composure. Monday I’m hoping we stay in the game from beginning to end.”

Left-fielder Skyler Lee, ’16, was pleased with the team’s offensive effort and success, even though they did not ultimately win the game. She did notice that the defense needs to continue working on the quickness and execution of plays and, like Regan, realizes that in order to pull out a win the Eagles will have to not fall apart at the very end.

“I think we hit the ball pretty well and offensively did better than we have previously,” Lee said. “Thursday’s game was a tough one, though. We need to improve on quick reactions defensively and keeping our composure throughout the game.”

Lee appreciated the girls’ ability to stay with the Blue Raiders as long as they did and wants to see even more of the teamwork and cohesion that the Eagles displayed in this game when the team next plays.

“We stayed with them for the majority of the fame,” Lee said. “Everyone showed a lot of effort. Next game I hope to see the team work together as a unit and maybe get a win.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Fowler Redcats, starting at 4 p.m., April 29.

This writer can be reached on Twitter at @JennaWeimer42.

For more sports, read the April 29 article, Softball sport shorts: Riverdale.