Volleyball Sport Short: Summit Charter

[media-credit name=”FC file photo” align=”alignright” width=”200″]Volleyball1[/media-credit]VOLLEYBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2014
For a preview to the Eagles volleyball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2014, for dates, scores, and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagles’ schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 11-5 overall and 0-0 in the Central Sierra League as of Sept. 30. FC’s next game will be on Oct. 2, as the Eagles play Alpaugh High School in Alpaugh.

VOLLEYBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2014
EASY WIN FOR THE EAGLES, Sept. 30

The FC Eagles traveled to Porterville to face the Summit Charter Academy Bears, Sept. 30.

As the Eagles entered the gym, there was complete silence. The stands were close to empty, which is not the normal atmosphere for the Eagles.

Sophomore Hannah Nale knew the team would have to work hard to get everyone’s spirits up to play to the best of their abilities.

“I think the team definitely stepped up to the plate,” Nale said. “Even though the gym was super quiet, as teammates, we really tried to pump each other up and it worked really well. Although we missed our Nuthouse, it was nice to at least have the people on the bench and the parents do their best to cheer us on.”

With this mindset, the Eagles entered the first match with intensity and defeated the Bears, 25-15.

As the second match approached, some of the non-starters were given the chance to play. Even with the different players, the Eagles still managed to beat Summit Charter, 25-20.

Before the third match began, the girls decided this was their chance to run some of the new plays they had been working on in practice. Senior Gabriela Siqueiros was excited to use her new offensive plays.

“It felt great to finally use the different plays that we had been working on,” Siqueiros said. “It gave us a chance to get more comfortable with the timing and it also forces our defense to work harder so that we have the opportunity to run these plays.”

In the third match, the Eagles continued to play hard and came out victorious over the Bears, 25-12.

Coach Jonathan Penberthy was happy to see the girls try some of the more difficult, tricky plays that they don’t usually use in games.

“It was great to see the girls run plays and it was awesome to see Breanna get her first kill!” Penberthy said. “It was also nice to see Ashley work on her jump serve and Gaby work on her cut serve. All in all it was good to have an opportunity to work on those things in a game-like atmosphere.”

Next, the Eagles travel to Alpaugh High School to face the Buffaloes, Oct. 2.

Follow the Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_olivialoren_

For more sports, read the Sept. 29 article, Football sport shorts: Mojave.