Junior dedicates time, displays service qualities

[media-credit name=”FC file photo” align=”alignright” width=”231″]Loughney1[/media-credit]There are many clubs on the FC campus, such as the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) and multiple sports programs, that are working to raise money for their causes. One of these clubs in particular, the Spanish Club, has been making great progress in raising money this year with the help of a very dedicated student. Junior Adam Loughney has given up many hours of service this school year to assist campus Spanish teacher, Beatriz Foth, in raising money.

As the Spanish Club celebrated their last meeting with a fiesta on May 10, the meeting had special significance for Loughney. He accepted a check from the Spanish Club on behalf of Doctor David Hodge for the Fresno Rotary Club’s sponsorship of “Project Nino.”

Recently, Hodge was scheduled to be a guest speaker for the Spanish Club, but due to circumstances beyond his control, he was unable to represent “Project Nino”. Using the information Loughney had learned over the years from Hodge regarding “Project Nino”, he presented information to the Spanish Club with the help of Dr. Hodge’s power point.

Hodge is one of the original founders of “Project Nino,” which began in 1985 as the result of an earthquake that had caused major devastation to the village of Tultitlan, Mexico, and the surrounding area. He and a group of California doctors traveled to assist Mexican doctors as they dealt with the destruction the earthquake had left behind. Over the last 28 years, “Project Nino” has evolved into a medical clinic outreach that draws thousands of people each year.

For one week in July, Hodge will travel once again to Tultitlan and set up the medical clinic. For many in the community this is their only opportunity to receive medical and dental care. Over the years, Loughney has helped Hodge load suitcases filled with supplies into his car to be flown into Mexico for “Project Nino.”

I knew if someone didn’t step up and take an active role in getting lunches delivered to the school, we would not have a hot lunch option for the students and staff.–Adam Loughney, ’14

This July, Loughney is especially excited that he will experience “Project Nino” for himself. He is honored that he has been invited to travel with Hodge and the other doctors to Tultitlan.

“I have witnessed the dedication Dr. David has for this project,” Loughney said. “I admire the hard work and planning he personally contributes every year as he organizes lectures, supplies and coordinates travel for the doctors. It is an honor to be invited and given the opportunity to be a part of ‘Project Nino’ and I look forward to serving the people of Tultitlan in any way that is needed.”

The check given by the Spanish Club was made possible by the hot lunch profits that accumulated throughout the year. Proceeds from the lunches have helped the Spanish Club provide funds to several organizations in addition to “Project Nino”. C.S.F. also benefitted from Loughney’s Wednesday hot lunches. The lunch profits allowed several C.S.F. members to be able to attend a recent conference in Visalia, in addition to helping with the expenses for graduating Seniors stoles, cords,and lamp pins.

Loughney helps coordinate lunches to be delivered on Wednesdays with local restaurants at a reduced price, allowing him to give the profit from each hot lunch to one of four organizations he is involved in.

The groups that have benefitted from the hot lunches are Spanish Club, CSF, choir and varsity boys tennis. Altogether, he has raised over $1,500. Loughney explained what inspired him to help out with serving hot lunches.

“I knew if someone didn’t step up and take an active role in getting lunches delivered to the school, we would not have a hot lunch option for the students and staff” Loughney said. “In the beginning of the school year, for quite a while only my Wednesday hot lunches were being offered. Now, additional groups have committed to taking other days of the week. This has greatly improved this years lunch program over last years Revolution Foods.”

Loughney volunteers because he enjoys raising money for something other than the school’s benefit. He explained why he thinks he has benefitted from volunteering.

“Wow, I believe I have benefitted most of all,” Loughney said. “I enjoy serving my school community, being able to raise funds for the clubs, and know that some of the money I made reaches organizations beyond the walls of Fresno Christian. I am happy that I have been able to provide a service to my school community through the Wednesday hot lunches along with being able to help raise financial support for organizations like ‘Project Nino’ among others.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Dooooman10.

For more features, read the Annual Cinco de Mayo lunch incorporates clubs, students.