Softball sport shorts: Parlier

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2013 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 3-14 overall and 1-8 in the West Sequoia League as of May 6. The Eagles will next play against the Riverdale Cowgirls, May 9.

FC OVERCOMES PARLIER, 14-9

The Eagles traveled to play the Parlier Panthers in their ninth league game of the 2012-’13 season. Although neither team was able to score in the first inning, FC earned three runs in their second ups and kept the Panthers from scoring. The third inning produced two runs for both teams, making the score 5-2, Eagles.

In their fourth time at bat, FC scored three runs and then allowed Minarets to add four to their score. The Mustangs outscored the Eagles again in the fifth inning, three runs to one, but were answered in the sixth inning by five FC runs. Although the Eagles were unable to score in their final inning, they held the home team scoreless and clinched their first league win, breaking their eight-game losing streak and upsetting the home team’s senior night.

Head coach Jeff Regan was pleased with the girls’ efforts this game, especially at the plate. He does want to see the defense bring up their game from their performance this game, as there were four errors at key points in the game.

“The players did a good job executing offensively,” Regan said. “We could have played better defense, though.”

Regan was excited to finally have a win in league play and he looks forward to building on this game’s positives when the Eagles next play Riverdale for their final game of the season.

“It was great to see the players get what we’re coaching them to do,” Regan said. “Next game I’m hoping for continued growth and learning for the team for their last game.”

The Eagles will next host the Riverdale Cowgirls, May 9 at 4 p.m.

This writer can be reached on Twitter at @JennaWeimer42.

For more sports, read the May 3 article, Softball sport shorts: Fowler.