Baseball sport shorts: Riverdale

BOYS’ BASEBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013
For a preview to the Eagles baseball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Spring Sports Box Scores, 2013, for dates, times, and all spring sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 3-14 overall and 2-8 in the West Sequoia League as of May 13. FC’s next game will be on April 30, as the Eagles play the Fowler Redcats.

BOYS’ BASEBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2013
EAGLES TRIUMPH OVER COWBOYS 14-6, May 10

To close out their season, the FC baseball team travelled to Riverdale High School to take on the Cowboy, May 10. It was the last game for this year’s seniors, with the team striving to end the season on a positive note.

Senior JP Caprioglio started on the mound for the Eagles. He received help early on after the Eagles took a 1-0 lead in the first inning after freshman Bailey Brogan stole home. Caprioglio only gave up one run in four innings, giving the Eagles the advantage.

The pitching however, was not the only advantage the Eagles’ held, because for the first time in a long while, the offense held strong. Production erupted in the fourth when FC mounted a two-out rally that began after sophomore Matt Ely crushed a 2 RBI double to right-center. The Eagles held the momentum for the rest of the game and never looked back. They continued to score for the remainder of the game. Riverdale closed the margin late in the game, but the Eagles held on to win 14-6.

With the win, FC finished with a 3-14 record and a 2-8 in West Sequoia League. With their record, the Eagles failed to make playoffs. However, freshman Bailey Brogan is happy that the team ended the season on a gvood note. Brogan says he thinks the team can definitely make playoffs next year.

“We finally won,” Brogan said, “It didn’t suck. We hit well and it felt good to finally pull out a “W”. I understand why we didn’t make playoffs this year, but next year we should be able to. We had a young team, made up mostly of freshmen and sophomores, and they will come back bigger and stronger next year. We should be able to do really well.”

For more sports, read the May 8 article, Rubgy serves as social outlet for campus students.