EDITORIAL: Taking responsibility, moving forward

“I can’t,” “It’s not my fault,” “I can’t do anything about it” and “I don’t care” are common phrases among students who do not think they can make the decision themselves to move forward, despite their circumstances. Some blame others, think it is completely out of their power or think it is not worth it.

Everyone reaches rough patches; not everything always goes according to plan, but it is due to these situations that students are given the opportunity to make their own decision to move on and keep going. The Feather would like to encourage students to make a conscience choice to continue on, regardless of the situation.

A lot of the time students tend to blame their problems on anyone or anything else. In the case of grades, students are prone to accusing the teachers of their bad grades. Instead of focusing the blame on others, students should evaluate the situation by looking at themselves to see why they received an unsatisfactory grade. After accessing the situation, they should make the decision to try better and work harder. Blaming an outside source can be a lot easier but students have to decide to look at themselves before looking to others for the cause of their problems.

As the year comes to a close, finals begin to creep closer and closer. Most students are burnt out at the end of the year and do not care to go on. However, with such a little time left, students must make the decision to finish strong. After a long year, a couple more steps are possible. Students say they’re tired, worn out and done with school, but with such a short time left students must choose to carry on.

In the case of college, many students were discouraged when they did not receive the news they wanted to hear from different colleges. Although this can be very disappointing, the seniors should make the conscience decision to keep moving forward. They cannot allow one setback effect how they carry on in their future.

Many students experience hardships and struggles throughout their time in high school, but it is how they choose to handle the situation that establishes their character. Frequently students choose to give up because they think they cannot make it through. However, to make it through, the students have to make the choice themselves to keep pushing on. Times can get difficult but it is ultimately the decision of the individual that will get them through it.

Another factor that comes into play when making decisions, is the choice to not make things personal. If a student is not invited to a hangout with friends or a party they have one of two options: they can choose to be affected by it or they can choose to move past it, and not take it personally. A student’s attitude is affected by the decisions they make which can either lead to a positive or negative one. To hold on to feelings that can otherwise be let go, is a decision that can lead to the wrong resolve.

In any simple situation, when things do not go according to plan students cannot give up, or think that they can’t do anything about it. The choice to change their situation is their own. Yes, they can be influenced to do otherwise, but it is their own personal resolve to not let it affect their future.

Any outside, negative influences can affect decision making, but it is up to the students to not allow the outside sources to play a role in their choices. Students must resolve to move forward with their own ideas and attitudes despite the chaos that might be going on around them. Decision making is an important process of stepping into the future, so The Feather hopes students make the right decisions to go forward in a positive way.

The Feather staff hopes to encourage students to develop their own decisions and not let the circumstances surrounding them affect the way they live. The one thing students truly own, is the decisions they make. Choices are completely up to them, so in troubling circumstances, The Feather hopes students will make the right ones.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more opinions, read the May 14 article, Personal inspiration fuels rare accomplishment.