Profile on co-valedictorian: Ashley Erickson

Classes take up enough time out of a student’s schedule, but adding senior Ashley Erickson’s extracurricular activities proves the amount of work she has put into her high school career, both academically and socially.

At the top of her class, Erickson has worked for four years to maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 4.2, while also being involved in sports and clubs. As one of two valedictorian’s, Erickson challenged herself with Advanced Placement (AP) classes, placing her at the top of her class.

Among other things, Erickson was often a multi-sport athlete, playing on the varsity girls soccer team for three years, while also running track throughout her entire high school experience. On top of that, Erickson was also involved in the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) as co-president.

The self motivation that Erickson was able to utilize led to her high grades and academic success. By holding herself to a high standard, Erickson was able to receive the highest grades, in an effort to complete her short and long term goals.

Fries: How does it feel to be valedictorian?

Erickson: I am not sure how it is supposed to feel, but it really doesn’t feel all that different from being any other student I suppose. It’s a huge honor so I am obviously pleased, but I do not feel different other than that.

Fries: Were you working towards receiving this position, or was it unexpected?

Erickson: I guess you could say I was working towards it. All through high school I have been working to be the best I can and to succeed in the classes I take. The thought of getting valedictorian was in the back of my mind, yes, but I would not say that I was dead set on getting it.

Fries: What else have you been involved in throughout high school?

Erickson: I have done track all four years of high school, as well as soccer from my freshman through junior years. I am also co-president of CSF this year after being involved in it since freshman year, also.

Fries: What are your tactics for studying, taking tests and being a good student in general?

Erickson: I wouldn’t say that I have actual tactics. I just make sure I get my work done thoroughly and on time and study as needed. Some classes I find come easily so I really don’t study all that much, while others are more difficult and lead me to give them more time for studying.

Fries: How were you motivated to keep your GPA so high?

Erickson: It was mostly self-motivation. I hold myself to a high standard and I am always disappointed when I don’t meet that standard, so I strive for excellence in the things that I do.

Fries: Was there a specific person throughout high school that encouraged you, challenged you and make you a better student?

Erickson: Probably Mrs. {Molly} Sargent. She has always been a huge encouragement to me, whether it is regarding academics or personal problems that I go to her with questions about. She constantly pushes me to think more critically and to improve, but without causing me to feel overwhelmed with the pressure. I could not have made it through high school without her.

Fries: Did you work with others to survive classes, or were you more self-motivated?

Erickson: I was definitely more self-motivated. There were some classes where we all had to rely on each other to survive, but I never needed anyone else to motivate me into working. It was my choice.

Fries: Do you think the environment at Fresno Christian helped you learn more?

Erickson: The environment at FC definitely helped. The small class sizes allowed for ample time for individual attention from the teachers to ensure that each student understood the material and was ready for the next step, something that in a larger class would not have been the case. I am so grateful to my teachers for taking the time to invest themselves in me as a student and as a person.

Fries: What is the one experience you will always remember from high school?

Erickson: Probably Senior Trip. It was great just being able to relax and bond with my classmates as we celebrated being done with this stage of our lives.

Fries: Do you think that Fresno Christian has prepared you for college?

Erickson: Absolutely. The classes here at FC have been very challenging and really strengthened my skills in every subject, and the teachers have taken care to prepare me for the challenges that college will hold.

Fries: Is there anything you would change about high school now that you’ve finished it?

Erickson: I would probably have tried to talk to more people sooner than I did. I am shy, so getting involved in my class was difficult but it was worth it when I did.

Fries: What is something you wish you would have known on your first day of freshman year?

Erickson: This is going to be very hard, but it will be worth it. I’ll hate it sometimes, but more often I’ll love it. These are going to be some of the best years of my life, and I need to enjoy every moment of it.

Fries: What is some advice you have to offer to the underclassmen?

Erickson: Don’t rush it. Do your work, be diligent, and never give up, but enjoy yourself ? high school seems like it’ll take forever, but it will be over before you know it.

Ashley will be attending the University of the Pacific in fall of 2013 to study Pharmacy.

This writer can be reached via TwitterL @TyninFries. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the May 21 article, Profile on the salutatorian: Jessica Healy.