Day 1: First day brings excitement, rule changes

Before students flooded the halls and their classes, the FC body gathered for a Convocation, Aug. 12. The event was held in the Peoples Church sanctuary for a time of fellowship, worship and prayer.

Once everyone settled in their seats, the Superintendent Debbie Siebert offered a word of prayer. The worship high school worship team then led the congregation in singing worship songs. Siebert continued speaking, telling a story relating to this year’s theme: “We Are One: Growing in Christ.”

The current theme continues the “We Are One focus” and added “Standing Firm” for 2013-14 school year but this year adds “We Are One: Growing in Christ.” The school year’s verse is Ephesians 4:15-16. Principal Todd Bennett expresses the importance of the theme for the year and why it was chosen.

“About three years ago, administration chose ‘We Are One,’ and we thought that was a very important choice at the time and we still do,” Principal Bennett said. “The whole idea that we are a Christian community and all individuals with different background; we are all important. That’s why we chose ‘We Are One’ and then, each year, we kind of build on that. What we want to help people do is grow in their individual relationship with Christ so, together, we’re growing.”

Along with new theme, there has also been a few new rules enforced this year. Once students reached their homerooms a set of new rules were placed for the school year. Excitement rose as the students found the previous rule, outlawing cell phones in the hallway, had been removed.

“Oh my goodness, the teachers were so happy with that,” Bennett said. “At the end of the year the educational leadership team sits down and looks at the handbook to say what needs to be changed. Some of the changes came with the dress code, but one we thought needed to be changed was the no cell phones in hallways. We have smart phones where kids can access their Bible, parents can connect with their kids right away. They can be disruptive in the class room during learning time, but why do we care what kids are doing in the hall ways.”

As other new rules were established, the students left their homerooms to continue on their day. The first day consisted of a great amount of movement. Students filled the offices trying to change schedules and many new students tried to find their way to the foreign classes. New student, Jared Franz, ’14, describes his first day as interesting, different and exciting.

“I just like the smaller environment,” Franz said. “Clovis North {High School} was harder to get know people because theres was just way too many people there. People here {Fresno Christian} have been pretty friendly. I’ve been more off in the back, though, just because its the first day of school and I have to get a feel for the school.”

While many new students joined the school there were also new teachers as well. Senior English, Advanced Placement (AP) English and sophomore honors English teacher Amy Deffenbacher expresses her admiration for the school and the ability to include Jesus in all classes.

“It was a good day,” Deffenbacher said. “I love that I can start class with prayer because that was the big difference for me. I’ve been in education for a long time in Fresno Unified and Central Unified, but to be able to talk about Jesus and going back to Jesus in no matter what I was teaching about, it was pretty cool.”

Sophomore, Nicole Hudecek, appreciated the encouragement Deffenbacher gave to her classes. Hudecek felt the day went by faster than usually and enjoyed being back at school

“The first day was fun,” Hudecek. “It actually went by faster, I thought it was going to be longer. My favorite class was English. I really like the teacher, she {Deffenbacher} was really nice and she just talked to us and said she’s going to try to mentor us. I also enjoyed the Convocation because our school needs to connect more because there’s an elementary and high school here {on campus}, so we just need to unite together.”

Summer has faded away and the school year has finally arrived. Bennett express his joy of being back at school and his heart for the students.

“Seeing all of the students coming back is my favorite part of the first day of school,” Bennett said. “That is probably the best. I worked all summer long and it’s boring. The first day of school is just always exciting. Its great to have everybody back. None of us became teachers just for summer vacation; we became teachers so we can work with students. That’s the best part about the first day of school.”

For more features, read the Aug. 12 article, Annual tradition sets tone for new year (VIDEO).

This author can be reached via Twitter: @han_avila. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.