Annual tradition sets tone for new year (VIDEO)

To start off the 2013-’14 school year, the kindergarten through senior classes, along with faculty members and parents, gathered for the annual first day of school Convocation, Aug. 12.

Beginning the event, Superintendent Debbie Siebert welcomed everyone by saying a prayer of blessing over the school year. Following her, the Worship Team led the audience in praise with the songs “Scandal of Grace,” “Before the Throne” and “Joyful.”

Again, Siebert took the stage announcing the theme for this school year, “We Are One: Growing in Christ.” She then told a story about her husband, her and two friends embarking on a canoeing trip. Siebert tied in the theme for the year with her story to connect with the audience better.

To close the convocation, Dr. Phil Hinton prayed over the school and the upcoming year. The kindergarten through second graders were then released to their classes which were finally on the main campus, after being moved from the Northeast campus to join the rest of the student body.

Siebert was very enthused by the mornings turnout, feeling it was the greatest attendance FC has ever had. Seeing all the parents attend with their children to join them for their first day of school was a great affirmation for Siebert.

“It was very exciting to see the place so packed,” Siebert said. “I thought it was a great turnout. It was definitely the largest turnout we have ever had. It was nice to see that people want to be there, along with the parents wanting to join their children.”

Senior Lucas Lopez attending the first day of school Convocation for the last time. Enjoying the Convocation every year, Lopez was sad to see that this would be his last one. Lopez took a lot away from the mornings event, motivating him for the school year.

“The convocation was very interesting this morning,” Lopez said. “It’s sad that it’s my last one but it was also a very personal one. The story Siebert told was motivating because of the meaning behind it. The hardships she faced motivates me for school. It reminded me to trust God, and just take it day by day.”

Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth was very positive about this morning’s activity. Having already heard Siebert’s story, she was reminded of the struggles people face every day, being influenced to stay enthusiastic about the new year.

“It is wonderful to start all together and pray for the school year,” Foth said. “It is a great convocation every year. I had heard Siebert’s canoe story before because she told the teachers that story, but it was great to hear it again as another reminder. I look forward to the upcoming school year; it’s going to be a great one.”

Telling a story every year to help the students get through the upcoming school year, Siebert describes it as no easy task. Months of consideration go into her choosing the story, hoping she will pick a memorable and motivational story for the students to really connect with.

“I pray a lot for God to give me the guidance on what to say to the students at the beginning of the year,” Siebert said. “First of all the theme has to be chosen and then the verse. And once the verse is in place I try to chose something that will relate to the students and be memorable for them.”

Moving up to the big leagues, freshman Sydney Belmont experienced the Convocation in a whole new light. Siebert’s story touched Belmont in a positive way helping her get through her first day of high school, guiding her with a positive light.

“I thought the convocation this year was really inspiring,” Belmont said. “The music from the worship team was great as well as the story Siebert told. I listened the entire time and it really helped me get through the day. It helped me remember that there will be struggles but I can make it through.”

Now that the kindergarten through second grade moved from the Northeast campus to the main campus, Siebert believes it will help immensely in unifying the school and really touching down on the schools theme.

“I think it is a fantastic thing that kindergarten through second grade have been joined with the rest of the school,” Siebert said. “I relate them being on the Northeast campus as when your family is far away and you do not get to see them as often. I anticipate that it will be a spectacular occurrence for the entire school. All the teachers were so excited about the big move, so I think it will be a fantastic change.”

Attending the convocation for the first time, new student N’Gai Jones, ’14, was very appreciative of the event. Jones felt it was a good start to the school year, preparing him for his upcoming school days.

“It was a good experience,” Jones said. “Seeing the whole school as one, coming together worshipping God to start the school year off was great. I just really enjoyed the entire event.”

This author can be reached via Twitter: @viv_hinojosa. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the Aug. 12 article, Feather reviews 2012-’13 school year.

Convocation 2013 (VIDEO) from The Feather Online on Vimeo.