Library receives much-needed remodel

NewLibrary1
[/media-credit] The new library interior.

Donations used for new space, lighting

Workers continue to finish up construction this week on Fresno Christian’s revamped library. Students bustle in and out of the door, using the newly renovated library for the very first time this year. Many volunteers put their time and work into renovating the library to be fit and available for a new school year.

Continuing with the renovations and updates from the past few years, such as the updated science and journalism labs, the library on campus recently received a much needed upgrade. The librarian, Lin Brown, shared how the library was becoming cramped and inadequate.

“The room was dark and crowded with many things happening in a small space,” Brown said. “The makeover has been extreme and was made possible primarily with the donation of private funds and volunteer workers.”

Many families and staff members volunteered their time to help with the remodel and reconstruction of the library. A plaque in the library thanks The Siebert Family, Raynes Family, Bennett Family, Mick FullerKathy Pierce, Kimberly DeWolf, Michael and Caroline Ogdon, the Khouzams, Grossmans and the many other volunteers who can never be adequately thanked for their hundreds of hours of their time put into the construction of the new library.

I am hopeful that the students will see the library as a much more pleasant place to be and want to take care of it. Along with that, I want the students to see the library as an open and friendly place where they can find materials on the shelves for classroom assignments and pleasure reading. — Lin Brown, librarian.

While construction is not yet complete in the entrance of the new facility, students may still enter the library for study hall and use its materials. Students may enter through the side door of the library.

“The front of the building is not completed yet,” Brown said. “The landscaping will be going in and the walkway and front door are under construction. There are plans to put the letters FCS in the walkway and I think that will be great fun for the students to see as they come into the building.”

Sophomore Timothy Nyberg notes that the library looks good even from the outside.

“When we drive up to school in the morning, the library is no longer a sore spot on campus,” Nyberg said. “It looks great; they are even landscaping it. The library can now be promoted instead of avoided.”

With the drastic remodel of the library comes the addition of a few new rules for students to follow. The desks for study hall are now distanced from the bookshelves, making the temptation for students to remove books or leave things shoved on shelves harder to carry out.

“Students have always been encouraged to respect the facility, but I think it will be easier to put into practice with the beautiful new library,” Brown said. “One of the outstanding features of the new library is the beautiful wood floor. It is durable, but we all need to take care not drag heavy objects over it and be careful about our footwear. Like the gym floor it is not made for cleats.”

Now that both school campuses have merged, the library is used by K-12 students. Brown expressed that it is important to keep the noise level down. It is also important to throw away garbage and respect the building.

“What I really want to emphasize to the students too is that this beautiful new library of theirs came at a high price,” Brown said. “It took sacrificial giving of dollars to provide the means to accomplish the makeover. It also took many long hours of volunteer labor- often late hours, and hours in the heat. I want the students to be aware of that and appreciate what has been done for them.”

Senior Viviana Hinojosa appreciates that the library has been remodeled this year. Previously she thought that no one enjoyed being in the library because of the atmosphere, but now it is a lot more welcoming to her.

“I think it’s really great they remodeled the library,” Hinojosa said. “Before no one really used the library because it had old computers and was very cluttered. Now, it looks brand new, open and welcoming.”

The library now has wide open space, enough room for the study hall classes and other classes come to look for materials or a book for leisure reading. The library is also equipped with computers for students.

“I am hopeful that the students will see the library as a much more pleasant place to be and want to take care of it,” Brown said. “Along with that, I want the students to see the library as an open and friendly place where they can find materials on the shelves for classroom assignments and pleasure reading.”

The library is available from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. for students’ use. To learn more about the library and it’s new features, contact Lin Brown via email.

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @ejLadd

For more features, read the Sept. 4 article, Original teacher retires after 36 years.