WSL loss motivates baseball team

The boys’ baseball team suffered a setback in their quest for a West Sierra League (WSL) championship with a 5-4 loss to Riverdale on March 26. While most team members were confident coming into the game, Riverdale scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to overcome a three run deficit and defeat the Eagles.

“We lost because members of our team thought we were unbeatable,” Evan Sanders, ’03, said. “It was a major disappointment. Hopefully, this was a wake-up call for our team and we will be refocused for the rest of the season.”

A passed ball allowed the go-ahead run to score in the top of the seventh. The Eagles, who were ranked #5 in the Sierra/Sequoia Division by the Fresno Bee on March 25, dropped out of the rankings after the defeat.

“The loss not only hurt our chances at winning league, it also set us back in playoff seedings,” Jon Hall, head coach, said. “However, it serves as a motivational tool for us to win the remainder of our games and close out league.”

After the defeat, the Eagles responded to with a 14-1 victory over Tranquility on March 28 and a 10-0 win against Mendota on April 1. According to Jon Steele,’03, both conquests demonstrated the Eagles ability to rebound with strong performances after a loss.

“We performed excellently in both games,” Steele said. “It was great to see our team rebound from our loss with two convincing and confidence building wins. ”

Currently, the boys’ hold an 8-3 record and are 4-1 in the WSL. They host Firebaugh on April 4 and then face WSL rival Fowler on April 8. Both games begin at 3:45.