Football sport shorts: Riverdale Christian

FOOTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013
For a preview to the Eagles football season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2013, for dates, times, and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagles’ schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 1-0 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Sept. 8. FC’s next game will be on Sept. 13, as the Eagles play Vacaville Christian.

FOOTBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2013
EAGLES WIN FIRST GAME OF YEAR, Sept. 6

In their first contest of the season, the Eagles traveled to Assembly of God Church in Riverdale to take on the Riverdale Christian High School Christ Ambassadors, Sept. 6.

After scoring 14 points in the first quarter, the Eagles put up 24 in the second, eventually scoring an insurmountable 46 points to the Christ Ambassadors’ 16.

Sophomore quarterback Tyler Breedlove felt that the team played well and proved that they could hold their own in the 8-man format.

“We started off pretty sloppy, honestly,” Breedlove said. “But then we picked it up a little bit and soon enough we had dominated the first half.”

Head coach Mick Fuller was pleased with the win and how his team played in their first game of the season.

“Well, we got a win,” Fuller said. “I’m proud of how they played even with the downside of the extreme heat that afternoon. The team fulfilled each of their assignments which were given to them and we started the season off well.”

The Eagle defense was led by Seniors Bobby Christopher and Hunter Bachman, who had 10 and 13 tackles, respectively.

Tyler, standing 5’7″ in his first start at quarterback, felt that his side of the ball brought a potentially unstoppable element to the Eagles’ game.

“Our offense was very effective,” Breedlove said. “In only six pass completions we had three touchdowns, and we had another three scores on the ground.”

Senior Zachery Jakusz was proud of how the team played and hopeful to do it again at the home game on Friday, Sept. 13.

“We played very well,” Jakusz said. “We executed great and pulled out on top for the win. Both lines played well but still practice is needed to pull a win against the better teams. Im looking forward to the game this friday and hoping for a win.”

Breedlove completed 6 passes on 8 attempts, garnering 99 yards and three touchdowns. Christopher and Bachman both ran for a touchdown, as did fellow senior Christian Saylor, as the Eagles put together 333 yards on the ground.

Breedlove looks forward to the chance to play in front of a home crowd next week when the Eagles play Vacaville Christian High School at Eagle Field.

“I’m looking forward to coming home to a big, welcoming crowd next week,” Breedlove said. “The home opener is always an exciting night, so we’ll do our best to replicate last week’s efforts.”

For more information, see the Fall Sport Box Scores.

This writer can be reached via Twitter @Grossman_Chris.