Campus insider: Defining leadership

Campus Insider is an ongoing column, written by various members of the Student Leadership class.

With political bickering and arguing always on the forefront of the news, the question arises as to what is the best way to lead. Republicans have their way and Democrats have something different. Corporations have leadership models and sports teams have their own theories.

The library is full of shelves and shelves of expert advice and one can find article upon article on the internet about leadership. People have opportunities to lead in their jobs, churches, on athletic teams and in their families. If one is to lead, where do they go for a source of authoritative information?

When looking at modern leadership theories, there are some that stand out as commonly accepted amongst this sea of information. These theories include the “Great Man” theory, situational theories, transaction theories and transformational theories. But which one is best? It all depends on whom you ask.

The “Great Man” Theory:
This theory, popularized in the 1840s by Scottish writer Thomas Carlyle, is the idea that leadership is born out of a critical event. Someone rises to the occasion and a leader is born. Many a person during war time or a critical point in our nation has stood up and taken on this mantle. A leader in this category is considered born with certain traits that give him this ability.

Situational Theories:
This theory concludes that effective leadership styles differ based on certain types of variables. In some cases an authoritative leader might be best and, in other cases, a democratic style would serve better. This theory seems to cause people to be too wishy-washy. Instead of staying true to their standards, they are constantly playing catch up. Leaders in this field would include managers who must adapt to employees of differing abilities.

Transaction Theories:
This theory is the idea that people are motivated by rewards and punishments. Leaders scrutinize their subordinates and closely watch what they are doing. This leadership style works, but only when the leader is present.

In looking at all the available theories, we are called to be transformational leaders. We are to be revolutionary in how we lead. One shouldn?t just react to what?s going on or what the situation is, rather be rooted in beliefs that always hold true.

Today?s great motivational speakers call for leaders to inspire, be self-sacrificing and attract others to their cause. One the best examples of this style actually comes from the Bible. Jesus calls believers to lead in this way. Yeah, I know Jesus is usually the “Sunday school answer,” but it?s true. Saying ?follow me? doesn?t cut it. We must stand out, be distinct, lead in a way that causes others to be transformed and not just telling them to obey.

This all sounds good, but how does it become a daily reality? One day at a time. If we want to be transformational leaders, we must work on it each day. Find a quote from strong leader and use it that day. Meditate on a Bible verse and let it guide your conversation that day. Don?t be overwhelmed that you are not a great leader overnight. Just decide to be transformed (Romans 12:2) for today. Each day make that decision.

Paul, one of the greatest church leaders said, ?Not that I have already obtained this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.? Paul, who wrote a majority of the New Testament. If Paul realized his need to improve one day at a time, how much more could we strive to do the same?

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more opinions, read the Aug. 26 article, WANTED: Cross country runners.