Grandparents Day 2014 (VIDEO)

The young and old alike gathered together in the cramped halls of FC during the morning hours of last Friday. The 23rd annual Grandparents Day was in full swing, as students brought their grandparents around the campus, Oct. 3.

Wheelchairs and canes set foot in Building 5 and 6 around 9:30 a.m., while the faculty handed out student schedules. Grandparents where ushered into their grandchildren’s classes as Student Leadership also provided assistance with the elevators, room locations and extra chairs needed during the day.

Student Leadership member Tim Nyberg, ’16, assisted many of grandparents during the day. He enjoyed the fact that just giving your time was appreciated by many of the grandparents.

“My grandparents weren’t able to come, so must of the time I was helping out the grandparents, with Student Leadership, that needed anything during the day,” Nyberg said. “It’s fun to help the elderly because they are so grateful whenever you give your time, even if it’s something like grabbing an extra chair for them.”

High school and junior high grandparents were able to attend second and half of third period before heading off to lunch. Each year the grandparents and students are treated to a lasagna lunch provided by Student Leadership. Dessert is provided by teacher Sharon Scharf and her home economics classes.

Sandra Surolie, grandparent of Jordan Castro, ’15, and Julian Castro, ’17, has been attending Grandparents Day for three years. Not only being able to see what her grand kids are doing in school, but getting involved with the classes themselves as well was unique to Surolie’s experience on campus.

“I love being with my grandson anytime, but his {Julian} history class was very interesting,” Surolie said. We all got involved. This is probably one of the most grandparent involved classes that I have been too, since I have only been to two {Grandparents Day} other than today. It was defiantly my favorite one so far.

For more videos, please check out the last creations in the